Asks me for the place where the media where the linux package is stored

• Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, the Kubuntu installation on the computer failed because it couldn't read from the cd-rom.
sid_galt
I want to install Red hat Linux 9.0 on my comp.

I have dell gx620, pentium 3.2 ghz 2mb cache, 945g chipset, 1 gb ram, philips cd/dvd reader and writer.

I tried installing it. It asks me for the place where the media where the linux package is stored. When I press on Local CD Rom it always asks me to insert the linux CD when it is already inserted.

How can I get rid of this problem.\?

Thank you for the help

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why are you installing such a old distro (Redhat 9.0) on such a new computer?

I would go and download Kubuntu since that's what most people like nowadays:

http://www.kubuntu.org/

Kubuntu is going to have the lastest software and have much better hardware support.

Thank you for the reply.

Kubuntu looks good. I think I'll try it. Should I download the beta 3.5.1 or go with the 3.4.2 version?

BTW, it is compatible with pentium, right?

sid_galt said:
Thank you for the reply.

Kubuntu looks good. I think I'll try it. Should I download the beta 3.5.1 or go with the 3.4.2 version?

BTW, it is compatible with pentium, right?

yes.

oh and there is also a distro called Ubuntu which you might want to look at as well.

ComputerGeek said:
oh and there is also a distro called Ubuntu which you might want to look at as well.

The Kubuntu page says that it is based on Ubuntu but has support for the KDE desktop too.

sid_galt said:
The Kubuntu page says that it is based on Ubuntu but has support for the KDE desktop too.

no, it only has support for the kde desktop.

personally, I think that KDE is cluttered and messy. GNOME is much cleaner UI wise.

If your used to Windows, KDE is the better choice.

Alright, major trouble.

I tried installing kubuntu 3.4.2. It boots but when it is on the 'loading additional components' step, it says that it can't read from the cd-rom. I checked the integrity of the cd and it was valid.

What do I do? I can't proceed forward with the installation.

Can anyone help?

1. Where can I find the media for the Linux package?

The location of the media for the Linux package can vary depending on the distribution and installation method. In general, it is typically stored in a repository or on a physical disc or USB drive.

2. How do I access the media for the Linux package?

If the media is stored in a repository, you can access it by using a package manager such as apt or yum. If the media is on a physical disc or USB drive, you can insert it into your computer and follow the installation instructions provided.

3. Can I download the media for the Linux package online?

Yes, many Linux distributions offer the option to download the media for the package online. This is often the preferred method for installation as it allows for the most up-to-date version to be installed.

4. Is the media for the Linux package stored in a specific directory?

The media for the Linux package can be stored in various directories depending on the distribution and installation method. However, it is typically located in the /var/cache or /var/lib directory.

5. Is it necessary to have the media for the Linux package in order to install it?

No, in many cases the media is not necessary for installation as it can be downloaded online. However, if the media is provided, it is recommended to use it for installation as it may contain additional files or dependencies that are needed for the package to function properly.