How to calculate the rebound distance of the bungge jump

In summary, the conversation is about designing a bungee jumping game and calculating the rebound force and distance. The question also includes how to avoid an obstacle 5m from the platform. There is a lack of information to determine the rebound height as it depends on the damping coefficient of the bungee cord. The person asking the question wants to find the maximum rebound height to avoid the obstacle. However, it is difficult to understand without a picture.
superkui
Hie all, curently i working on a mini project which require us to design a bungee jumping game where we had to decide all the data by myself.

here i got a few question want to ask n hope someone can help me a bit..
a) how to calcualte the rebound force and distance he will rebound??as i givin the k = 150 N/m, original cord length = 17m, elongation = 23m..n the distance between the platform and the ground = 45m.

b)if there is a obstacle is 5m from the platform, how to avoid it??

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What do you mean by "rebound force" ? Please define this clearly.

2. There is not enough info to determine the rebound height. That is a function of the damping coefficient of the bungee cord, and the answer in the absence of damping will be the original height.

hie there..sorry for the unconvenient. I want to find out the maximum rebound height since i wil have a obstacle 5m below the jumping platform and need to avoid it. i know after the cord reach the maximum length, the cord wil retract to it's original length, which mean 17m. But when the cord retract, there is a acceleration.. so there is a force when the cord is retract.

It's hard to understand the question without a picture. Can you attach one ?

1. How do you calculate the rebound distance of a bungee jump?

To calculate the rebound distance of a bungee jump, you will need to know the jumper's weight, the length of the bungee cord, and the spring constant of the bungee cord. The formula for calculating rebound distance is: rebound distance = (jumper's weight * length of bungee cord * spring constant) / (spring constant - 1).

2. What is the spring constant of a bungee cord?

The spring constant of a bungee cord is a measure of how resistant the cord is to stretching. It is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as N/m or lb/in. The specific spring constant of a bungee cord will depend on the type and quality of the cord used.

3. Why is it important to calculate the rebound distance of a bungee jump?

Calculating the rebound distance of a bungee jump is important for safety reasons. It allows bungee jump operators to determine the appropriate length of bungee cord to use for a specific jumper's weight, reducing the risk of injury or death.

4. Can you estimate the rebound distance without knowing the spring constant?

No, it is not possible to accurately estimate the rebound distance without knowing the spring constant of the bungee cord. The spring constant plays a crucial role in the calculation and without it, the result would be significantly different.

5. How does air resistance affect the rebound distance of a bungee jump?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the rebound distance of a bungee jump. The more air resistance there is, the slower the jumper will fall, resulting in a shorter rebound distance. This is why bungee jump operators must take into account air resistance when calculating the appropriate length of bungee cord for a jumper.