Solving a Problem: Calculating Molar Fraction of Freon in a Tank

In summary, the problem involves a 60 gallon tank containing pure Azote at 36.2 psig and 24.2 °C. 908.25 g of freon (CF2Cl2) is added to the tank and completely evaporates at a temperature of 8.2 °C. The molar fraction of freon is calculated to be 7.51161 mol and the total number of moles is needed to continue the calculation. However, the volume of the azote is not given, preventing further calculation. One suggestion is to use the initial volume of the tank, 60 gallons, to calculate the number of moles of azote.
simonak
Hi,

here's the problem :

A 60 gal tank contain pure Azote at 36,2 psig and 24,2 °C. We add 908,25 g of freon (CF2Cl2) that evaporate completely. If the temperature of the tank is 8,2 °C :

a) What is the molar fraction of the freon.

I've made some calculation, but it always result that I need the volume of the Azote to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your calculations, and we can tell you where the error is.

The molar fraction is the (number of mol for the freon) / (total number of mol). I found the number of mol for the freon = 7,51161 mol.

Now I need the total number of mol. So I need the
(number of mol for the freon) + (number of mol for the azote) / (Molar weight of freon) + (Molar weight of azote).

The only thing that is missing is the (number of mol for the azote). And I found 2 ways to find it

1) volumic weight * Volume
2) PV=nRT ===> n = PV/RT ==> M = m/n ==> m = n*M ...

In each case, I don't have the volume of the azote so I cannot continue

simonak said:
2) PV=nRT ===> n = PV/RT ==> M = m/n ==> m = n*M ...

In each case, I don't have the volume of the azote so I cannot continue
Initially, you are told that the entire volume of the tank (ie : 60 gall) contains azote (or Nitrogen) at some P, T. So, the volume of nitrogen is 60 gall. From this you can calculate n as you've proposed above.

1. How do I calculate the molar fraction of Freon in a tank?

To calculate the molar fraction of Freon in a tank, you will need to know the total number of moles of gas in the tank and the number of moles of Freon. Then, simply divide the number of moles of Freon by the total number of moles of gas to get the molar fraction.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the molar fraction of Freon in a tank?

The molar fraction of Freon in a tank is important for determining the composition of the gas mixture and understanding the behavior of the gas. It can also be used to determine the partial pressure of Freon in the tank.

3. How do I determine the total number of moles of gas in a tank?

To determine the total number of moles of gas in a tank, you will need to know the volume of the tank and the temperature and pressure of the gas. You can then use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, to calculate the number of moles.

4. Can I use the molar fraction of Freon to determine the mass of Freon in the tank?

No, the molar fraction alone cannot be used to determine the mass of Freon in the tank. You will also need to know the total mass of the gas in the tank and the molar mass of Freon to calculate the mass of Freon.

5. How do I convert the molar fraction of Freon to a percentage?

To convert the molar fraction of Freon to a percentage, simply multiply it by 100%. This will give you the percentage of the gas mixture that is made up of Freon.