Determing whether this function is onto and one to one

• Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is about determining whether a given function is one to one and onto in the complex numbers. The function in question is f(x)=x^2+2x+1 and the participants discuss the implications of its behavior in the reals on its behavior in the complex numbers. They also discuss the use of polar representation and Euler's formula to show that every complex number has a square root. The conversation ends with a discussion on how to show that the function is onto in the complex numbers.
bonfire09

Homework Statement

Determine whether the function is one to one and whether it is onto. The function is [tex] f:\mathbb{C}\rightarrow\mathbb{C}: f(x)=x^2+2x+1[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know this function in the real numbers is neither one to one and onto. Does that imply its not one to one and onto in the complex numbers? And what if I did have a one to one and onto function in the complex numbers. I can't think of a example but how would I show that?.

Physics news on Phys.org
bonfire09 said:
Does that imply its not one to one and onto in the complex numbers?
One of those is implied, but the other is not.
You can use real numbers to check this.

And what if I did have a one to one and onto function in the complex numbers. I can't think of a example but how would I show that?.
If you need an example: f(x)=x.
You can show it in the same way as for real functions, you just have to work with complex numbers (so equations like x2=-1 have solutions, for example)

So I want to showf(x)=x^2 is not one to one in the complex number so then id suppose [itex] x_1=x_2[/itex] then let [itex] x_1,x_2\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] where [itex]x_1=a+bi (and) x_2=c+di[/itex] where [itex]a,b,c,d\in\mathbb{C}[/itex]. So [itex] f(x_1)=(a+bi)^2=a^2+2abi-b^2[/itex] and [itex]f(x_2)=(c+di)^2=c^2+2cdi-d^2[/itex]. But then i don't know what to do from here? Because c and d could be different from a and b or the same.

Last edited:
bonfire09 said:
So I want to showf(x)=x^2 is not one to one in the complex number so then id suppose [itex] x_1=x_2[/itex] then let [itex] x_1,x_2\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] where [itex]x_1=a+bi (and) x_2=c+di[/itex] where [itex]a,b,c,d\in\mathbb{C}[/itex]. So [itex] f(x_1)=(a+bi)^2=a^2+2abi-b^2[/itex] and [itex]f(x_2)=(c+di)^2=c^2+2cdi-d^2[/itex]. But then i don't know what to do from here? Because c and d could be different from a and b or the same.

If the function isn't one to one in the reals, it's not one to one in the complex numbers. The reals are basically a subset of the complex numbers. It might be onto. Use polar representation and Euler's formula to show every complex number has a square root.

Oh OK. I've never really done that before but I'll mess around with it and see. But if you look in the real' numbera f(x)=x^2 is not onto either since x^2 is always greater than or equal to 0.

bonfire09 said:
Oh OK. I've never really done that before but I'll mess around with it and see. But if you look in the real' numbera f(x)=x^2 is not onto either since x^2 is always greater than or equal to 0.

Sure, but x^2 IS onto in the complex numbers. Not the reals. That's what I meant.

Did you recognize the binomial formula in your function? This simplifies the problem.
To show that it is not one to one, you can pick some function value (like 4) and show that there are two x such that f(x)=4.

I got the 1 to 1 part figured out for f(x)=(x+1)^2. I just gave a counterexample in the reals.' Now I'm stuck trying to prove it is onto.. I'm not sure how to convert this equation into polar form.

Can you solve z=(x+1)^2 for x (or at least one option for x)? Is this possible for all complex z?

Yes just by looking at that form there is always going to be atleast one root. So I should solve that for x then and which would give me [itex] x=\sqrt{z}-1[/itex]? Then plug it back in and show it does give me back the z?

For every z, you found (at least) one x such that f(x)=z. That is sufficient.

1. What is the difference between a function being onto and one-to-one?

An onto function, also known as a surjective function, means that every element in the range of the function has a corresponding element in the domain. In other words, the function covers or maps onto the entire range. A one-to-one function, also known as an injective function, means that each element in the range has a unique corresponding element in the domain. This means that no two elements in the domain map to the same element in the range.

2. How can I determine if a function is onto?

To determine if a function is onto, you can use the horizontal line test. This means that for every y-value in the range, there must be at least one x-value in the domain that maps to it. If a horizontal line can be drawn through the graph of the function and it intersects the graph at least once, then the function is onto. Additionally, you can check if the range is equal to the codomain of the function. If they are equal, then the function is onto.

3. How do I know if a function is one-to-one?

To determine if a function is one-to-one, you can use the vertical line test. This means that for every x-value in the domain, there can only be one corresponding y-value in the range. If a vertical line can be drawn through the graph of the function and it intersects the graph at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one. Another way to check is to see if each element in the range has a unique preimage in the domain. If each element in the range has a unique preimage, then the function is one-to-one.

4. Can a function be both onto and one-to-one?

Yes, a function can be both onto and one-to-one. This type of function is known as a bijection. It means that every element in the range has a unique corresponding element in the domain, and the function covers or maps onto the entire range. In other words, the function is both injective and surjective.

5. Are there any other ways to determine if a function is onto and one-to-one?

Yes, there are other methods such as algebraic methods and using inverse functions. For example, if you can find the inverse of the function and the inverse is also a function, then the original function is one-to-one. If the inverse is also onto, then the original function is both onto and one-to-one. You can also use the concept of cardinality, which means comparing the number of elements in the domain and range to see if they are equal.