DE word problem: fluid in a tank

In summary: I am solving for C and then plugging that into Q(t).In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equations word problem involving a tank used in hydrodynamic experiments. The problem involves finding the time it takes for the concentration of dye in the tank to reach 1% of its original value after the tank is rinsed with fresh water. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation Q(t) = C e^(-t/100) and solving for C by plugging in Q(t)=1, but the correct approach is to solve for C by plugging in Q(0)=1.
oneamp

Homework Statement

Consider a tank used in certain hydrodynamic experiments. After one experiment the tank contains 200 L of a dye solution with a concentration of 1 g/L. To prepare for the next experiment, the tank is to be rinsed with fresh water flowing in at a rate of 2 L / min. The well stirred solution flowing out at the same rate. Find the time that will elapse before the concentration of dye in the tank reaches 1% of its original value.

Homework Equations

This is my first differential equations word problem, so I'm trying to learn how to do them. I don't need the answer to the 1% question; just some advice on what I did wrong below.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]
\frac{dQ}{dt} = -(\frac{2L}{min})(\frac{Q(t)}{200L}) = \frac{-1}{2} Q(t)
[/itex]

Initial value: Q(0) = 1g/L

[itex]
\frac{dQ}{dt} + \frac{1}{2} Q = 0
[/itex]

[itex]
\mu = e^{1/2*t}
[/itex]

[itex]
Q(t) = \frac{C}{e^{1/2*t}}
[/itex]

At this point I solve for C using the initial value, and get Q(t) = 1 :( Where am I going wrong?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, 2/200 = 1/100, not 1/2.

I fixed that, thanks. But regardless I end up in the same situation, with c/ e^... = 1. What else can I try?

Initial means t=0, so initial value means Q(0)=1. Remember C is a constant. It can't depend on t.

When I solve for: 1= C/ e^(1/100 t)
I still get 1 as a solution... Plugging in 0 for t to satisfy the initial condition Q(0)=1g/L

Thanks

You found ##Q(t) = C e^{-t/100}##. That's fine. The problem is that you're solving for C by saying Q(t)=1, but that's not true for all t. The equation you want to solve is Q(0)=1.

That simply means I plug 0 for t, and get 1=1 right? I must be confused...

I guess i understand...

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the volume of fluid in a tank?

The volume of fluid in a tank can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the tank by its height. This will give you the total volume in cubic units.

2. What is the equation for fluid pressure in a tank?

The equation for fluid pressure in a tank is P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column.

3. Can the shape of the tank affect the fluid pressure?

Yes, the shape of the tank can affect the fluid pressure. A taller or narrower tank will result in a higher fluid pressure at the bottom compared to a shorter or wider tank with the same volume of fluid.

4. How does the temperature of the fluid affect the pressure in the tank?

The temperature of the fluid can affect the pressure in the tank due to the thermal expansion of the fluid. As the temperature increases, the fluid will expand and exert more pressure on the walls of the tank.

5. Can the rate of fluid flow affect the level of fluid in the tank?

Yes, the rate of fluid flow can affect the level of fluid in the tank. If the rate of flow is higher than the rate of drainage, the fluid level will increase. If the rate of drainage is higher, the fluid level will decrease.