How is the Inverse Phasor Transform of Sum of Individual Phasors Proven?

In summary, the inverse Phasor transform of the sum of individual Phasors of sinusoidal functions of the same frequency is the sum of the sinusoids, which can be proven using the Laplace transform or complex exponential form.
seminum
Hello,

Can someone show me how the inverse Phasor transform of the sum of individual Phasors of sinusoidal functions of the same frequency is the sum of the sinusoids? I could not find any rigorous proof and help appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Somehow I have a feeling the proof is in the Laplace transform...I will keep looking

Can you start by writing out an equation for what you say in words in Post #1?

Here are the equations:

[tex]
\sigma = A_{0}\cos(wt + \phi_{0}) + A_{1}\cos(wt + \phi_{1}) + ... + A_{n}\cos(wt + \phi_{n}) = \mathbf{B}\cos(wt + \Phi_{0})
[/tex]
[tex]
\sigma = \mathbf{Re}\{A_{0}e^{\phi_{0}i}e^{wti}\} + \mathbf{Re}\{A_{1}e^{\phi_{1}i}e^{wti}\} + ... + \mathbf{Re}\{A_{n}e^{\phi_{n}i}e^{wti}\}
[/tex]
[tex]
\sigma = \mathbf{Re}\{\mathbf{P}_{0}e^{wti}\} + \mathbf{Re}\{\mathbf{P}_{1}e^{wti}\} + ... + \mathbf{Re}\{\mathbf{P}_{n}e^{wti}\}
[/tex]

My question why...?

[tex]
\sum\limits_{i = 0}^{n} \mathbf{P}_{i} = \mathbf{P}\{\mathbf{B}\cos(wt + \Phi)\}
[/tex]

Thanks.

What do you mean by ##\mathbf{P}\{\mathbf{B}\cos(wt + \Phi)\}##? Does this equal ##\mathbf{B}\exp(i\Phi)##?

Also, is it significant that you used boldface for ##\mathbf{B}##? Isn't it just some real number? I want to make sure I understand what you are asking.

Yes. It's just the Phasor transform.

Yes, B is a real number.

OK,
$$\begin{align}
\sum_{k=0}^{n}A_k\cos(\omega t + \phi_k) &= \sum_{k=0}^{n}A_k[\cos(\omega t)\cos(\phi_k) - \sin(\omega t)\sin(\phi_k)] \\
&= \left(\sum_{k=0}^{n} A_k \cos(\phi_k)\right) \cos(\omega t) - \left(\sum_{k=0}^{n}A_k\sin(\phi_k)\right)\sin(\omega t) \\
&= A\cos(\omega t + \Phi) \\
\end{align}$$
To compute ##A## and ##\Phi##, we again use the trig identity
$$A\cos(\omega t + \Phi) = A\cos(\Phi)\cos(\omega t) - A\sin(\Phi)\sin(\omega t)$$
and compare with what we have above to conclude that
$$A \cos(\Phi) = \sum_{k=0}^{n} A_k \cos(\phi_k)$$
and
$$A\sin(\Phi) = \sum_{k=0}^{n}A_k\sin(\phi_k)$$
Therefore,
$$\begin{align}
\sum_{k=0}^{n}A_k \exp(i\phi_k) &=
\sum_{k=0}^{n}A_k \cos(\phi_k) + i\sum_{k=0}^{n}A_k\sin(\phi_k)\\
&= A[\cos(\Phi) + i\sin(\Phi)] = A\exp(i \Phi)
\end{align}$$
which gives us what we want.

If desired, we can calculate ##A## and ##\Phi## explicitly as follows:
$$A = \sqrt{\left(\sum_{k=0}^{n}A_k \cos(\phi_k)\right)^2 + \left(\sum_{k=0}^{n} A_k \sin(\phi_k)\right)^2}$$
and
$$\Phi = \arctan\left(\frac{\sum_{k=0}^{n} A_k \sin(\phi_k)}{\sum_{k=0}^{n}A_k \cos(\phi_k)}\right)$$

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
seminum said:
Can someone show me how the inverse Phasor transform of the sum of individual Phasors of sinusoidal functions of the same frequency is the sum of the sinusoids?

jbunniii has a nice and very thorough demonstration above.

One of the interesting things you notice is the close relationship between addition of complex exponentials and angle addition in the trig identities. If you keep it in complex exponential form, then you can also show what you say (in words) above by:
$$
\begin{align}
\mathcal{P}^{-1} \Biggl\{ \sum\limits_{j = 0}^{n} \mathbf{P}_j \Biggr\}
&= \mathcal{P}^{-1} \Biggl\{ \sum\limits_{j = 0}^{n} A_{j}e^{\phi_{j}i} \Biggr\} \\
&= \mathbf{Re} \Biggl\{ \Biggl[ \sum\limits_{j = 0}^{n} A_{j}e^{\phi_{j}i} \Biggr] e^{wti} \Biggr\} \\
&= \mathbf{Re} \Biggl\{ \sum\limits_{j = 0}^{n} A_{j}e^{(wt+\phi_{j})i} \Biggr\} \\
&= \sum\limits_{j = 0}^{n} A_{j}\cos(wt+\phi_{j}) .
\end{align}
$$

Likes 1 person

What is the Phasor Method?

The Phasor Method is a mathematical technique used in electrical engineering to analyze the behavior of an alternating current (AC) circuit. It represents a complex sinusoidal waveform as a vector in the complex plane, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze the circuit's behavior.

Why is the Phasor Method used?

The Phasor Method is used because it simplifies the analysis of AC circuits. By converting the complex sinusoidal waveforms into phasors, which are represented by a single magnitude and angle, calculations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication become much easier. This allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of the circuit's behavior.

How is the Phasor Method different from other circuit analysis techniques?

The Phasor Method is different from other circuit analysis techniques, such as the time-domain method, because it focuses on the steady-state behavior of the circuit. It ignores the transient behavior and only considers the sinusoidal components of the signals. This makes it particularly useful for analyzing AC circuits, where steady-state behavior is of primary interest.

What are the main advantages of using the Phasor Method?

There are several advantages of using the Phasor Method in circuit analysis. One of the main advantages is that it simplifies complex calculations and reduces the time and effort required to analyze AC circuits. It also allows for a visual representation of the circuit's behavior, making it easier to understand and interpret the results. Additionally, it can be used to analyze both series and parallel circuits, making it a versatile and powerful tool for circuit analysis.

Are there any limitations to the Phasor Method?

While the Phasor Method is a useful tool for analyzing AC circuits, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for circuits with sinusoidal inputs, and it assumes that the circuit is linear and time-invariant. It also does not consider the effects of non-linear components, such as diodes and transistors. Overall, the Phasor Method is best suited for analyzing simple and linear AC circuits.