What is the best way to draw diagrams for virtual work on rigid bodies?

In summary, the homework statement is for someone who is having trouble drawing diagrams for virtual work. They need help finding the value of a statical quantity at a point, and are requesting help from others. The person has realized that they made a few mistakes in their attempted solution, and is asking for help.
hopelesskarma

Homework Statement

Im having real trouble with drawing diagrams for virtual work. Can someone please, please help me!

We were asked, in the diagram i posted, to find 1)vertical reaction at F, 2) all reactions at A, 3) bending moment and shear force at B using virtual work.

i think i know how to do the actual working out but to do that i need the diagram, which i don't know how to draw. Any help/explanation would be very much appreciated! thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• virtual work attempted soln 001.jpg
    virtual work attempted soln 001.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 428
  • virtual work.jpg
    virtual work.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
the diagrams don't seem to be showing up...:frown: how long normally does it take to be approved?

To find the value of a statical quantity Q at a point x0, draw the displacement diagram of the system "caused" by a differential displacement at the point x0 "in the direction" of the quantity Q, and apply the principle of virtual work. (Sounds nice in theory, I know, but this is still a hint. :smile:)

Dear Radou

Yes that is the general principal of virtual work as i understand it too but its very confusing to apply.

Ive realized, since posting the diagrams up, that i made a few mistakes in my attempted solution. Since it takes so long for attachments to be approved maybe i can just describe in words what i think and hopefully u'll be able to follow... :redface:

For the bending moment at B, I've used the convention in my worked solution. However I've modified the diagram like this: The force acting on the beam will turn the beam clockwise, so it will slope down from the top of B to D, passing through C. From D to E it will be a straight constant line. The extension from D to F will be like it was in the original diagram.

Thus sum bending moment at B=0
M(B) x d* + (-)V(B) x 1.5d* + 10kN x 3d* = 0
M(B) x d* + (-)(-20kNm) x 1.5d* + 10kN x 3d* = 0
M(B) + 30 +30 = 0
M(B) = -60kNm

NOTE: V(B) stands for the shear at B. i worked it out to be -20
d* is the angle between the virtual line and the real line

However using statics i found the moment at B to be -30 not -60. Did i draw my diagram wrong? Or is it my working out? thanks in advance!

hopelesskarma said:
However using statics i found the moment at B to be -30 not -60. Did i draw my diagram wrong? Or is it my working out? thanks in advance!

Your diagram is wrong. If you find it hard to picture the displacement of the system, you can always use Kennedy's theorem to draw the exact displacement diagram.

We havnt learned kennedy's theorem yet and googling it turned up nothing educational either...or at least nothing i could understand. Is there a simpler way about it?

hopelesskarma said:
We havnt learned kennedy's theorem yet and googling it turned up nothing educational either...or at least nothing i could understand. Is there a simpler way about it?

Well, what I'm talking about is no hard way. First of all, do you know how to draw displacement diagrams for mechanisms?

radou said:
Well, what I'm talking about is no hard way. First of all, do you know how to draw displacement diagrams for mechanisms?

Yes, i think so. I know that the displacement diagrams can bend at pins but must pass through the roller/rocker supports etc, and remains zero at fixed supports. And initially it goes in whichever direction the force is acting.

Thanks a lot for going through this stuff with me! i know that it can be hard to explain...really appreicate it.

hopelesskarma said:
Thanks a lot for going through this stuff with me! i know that it can be hard to explain...really appreicate it.

No need to thank, that's why we're here! :wink:

hopelesskarma said:
Yes, i think so. I know that the displacement diagrams can bend at pins but must pass through the roller/rocker supports etc, and remains zero at fixed supports. And initially it goes in whichever direction the force is acting.

Ok, http://usera.imagecave.com/polkijuhzu322/pf/displ.JPG" the displacement diagram of the system (for the bending moment at B). I named the disks "i" and "ii". Of course, you have to add the forces to the diagram and use the principle of virtual work now.

Edit: your statics seems to be wrong too, since the moment you should obtain does not equal 30.

Last edited by a moderator:
So in the diagram, where did DF go? Or it doesn't move?

Yes using the diagram the moment at B should equal 15...my statics was wrong but i know wat went wrong now :-)

hopelesskarma said:
So in the diagram, where did DF go? Or it doesn't move?

Yes using the diagram the moment at B should equal 15...my statics was wrong but i know wat went wrong now :-)

The member DF isn't important, since there is no force to do any work on that member. (Formally, DF can't be seen in the diagram; it coincides with the projection of disc ii.)

1. What is virtual work on rigid bodies?

Virtual work on rigid bodies is a method used in mechanics to analyze the behavior of rigid bodies. It involves considering the work done by external forces on a body as it undergoes a virtual displacement, which is a hypothetical movement that does not actually occur. This method allows for the calculation of unknown forces or displacements in a system.

2. How is virtual work on rigid bodies different from actual work?

The main difference between virtual work and actual work is that virtual work involves hypothetical or imaginary displacements, while actual work involves real displacements. Virtual work is used to analyze the behavior of a system, while actual work is a physical quantity that describes the energy transferred to or from a system.

3. What are the applications of virtual work on rigid bodies?

Virtual work on rigid bodies has various applications in engineering and physics, such as in the analysis of structures and mechanical systems. It is commonly used in the design and optimization of machines, as well as in the study of the stability and equilibrium of structures.

4. How is virtual work on rigid bodies calculated?

The calculation of virtual work on rigid bodies involves breaking down a system into its constituent parts and considering the work done by each individual force on each part. The virtual work done by an individual force is equal to the product of the force and the virtual displacement of the corresponding part. The total virtual work done by all forces in the system is then calculated and set equal to zero, as the system is assumed to be in equilibrium.

5. What are the limitations of virtual work on rigid bodies?

Although virtual work is a useful tool for analyzing rigid body systems, it has some limitations. It assumes that the system is in equilibrium, and therefore cannot be used for dynamic analysis. Additionally, it only considers external forces and does not take into account internal forces, such as those within a solid object. Finally, virtual work is limited to rigid body systems and cannot be applied to systems with deformable bodies.