Surface Area of 3d graph

In summary: It looks like you are finding the area of the paraboloid that lies in the sphere. The question asks for the area of the sphere that lies inside the paraboloid. It's the upper cap of the sphere.You might also notice z=r^2 on the paraboloid. The limits for z are 0->3. The limits for r are not 0->3.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

Find the area of the sphere x^2 + y^2 + (z-2)^2 = 4 that lies inside paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

when i take the equation of the spere and replace x^2 + y^2 with z i get: z(z-3) = 0
so they intersect at the plane z = 3.

were supposed to use the double integration rule. I am not sure what the parameters would be. when i convert to polar, i know feta is from 0 to 2pie. i tried making r from 0 to 3 but i got the wrong answer. idk whether i integraded the wrong equation or used the wrong parameters or both

Physics news on Phys.org
How are we supposed to know what you did wrong if you won't tell us what you did. What did you integrate? What did you get?

i don't know how to type the integration symbols

the double integral was ||Rx X Ry||
where x = x, y = y, z = x^2 + y^2

so basically (skipping some steps) the integral becomes: (1 + 4x^2 + 4y^2)^.5
which becomes: r(1 + 4r^2)^.5 when put in polar form
and like i said, i tried 0<feta<2pi and 0<r<3

i got like pi/6 * some quantity. but its supposed to be 4pi

It looks like you are finding the area of the paraboloid that lies in the sphere. The question asks for the area of the sphere that lies inside the paraboloid. It's the upper cap of the sphere.

You might also notice z=r^2 on the paraboloid. The limits for z are 0->3. The limits for r are not 0->3.

Hi jaredmt! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π and a squared: ² and an integral: ∫)
jaredmt said:
when i take the equation of the spere and replace x^2 + y^2 with z i get: z(z-3) = 0
so they intersect at the plane z = 3.

That's right! :smile:

So you're now trying to find the area of a cap of a sphere of radius 2 from "height" 2 to "height" 1 (and you're told to use ∫∫).
were supposed to use the double integration rule. I am not sure what the parameters would be.

Hint: you can use either x and y parameters, or latitude and longitude parameters.

They both work (well, why wouldn't they? :rolleyes:), so you may as well try both of them! :smile:

1. What is the definition of surface area?

Surface area is the measure of the total area that the surface of an object occupies. In other words, it is the sum of all the areas of the individual faces or surfaces of a 3D object.

2. How is surface area calculated for a 3D graph?

The surface area of a 3D graph is calculated by finding the areas of each individual face or surface and then adding them together. This can be done using specific formulas depending on the shape of the object, such as the formula A = 2lw + 2lh + 2wh for a rectangular prism.

3. Why is surface area important in scientific research?

Surface area is important in scientific research because it helps to determine the amount of material needed for a specific experiment or process. It also plays a role in understanding how different materials interact with each other and how they may be affected by external forces.

4. How does the surface area of a 3D graph change with scale?

The surface area of a 3D graph changes with scale because as the size of the object increases, the total number of faces and their respective areas also increases. This results in a larger surface area. Similarly, as the object decreases in size, the surface area decreases as well.

5. Can the surface area of a 3D graph be negative?

No, the surface area of a 3D graph cannot be negative. Surface area is a physical quantity that represents the extent of an object's surface, and it cannot have a negative value. If a calculation results in a negative value, it is likely that a mistake was made in the formula or measurements used.