Difference between Newton's first and second law

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between Newton's first and second laws, with a focus on acceleration. It is concluded that a particle not accelerating in an inertial frame of reference implies that the net force acting on the particle is zero, which is a special case of Newton's second law. It is also noted that the rate of change of momentum can be used to express Newton's second law, and that it accounts for situations where mass is not constant.
alpha372

Homework Statement

I'd just like some verification really: see step three

Homework Equations

net force = 0 --> equilibrium; net force = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come to the conclusion that the difference between Newton's first law and second law is acceleration:

Newton's first law:
absence of acceleration

Newton's second law:
presence of acceleration

I was wondering if it would be safe to say:

"A particle not accelerating in an inertial frame of reference implies that the net force acting on the particle is zero"

(after all, if it is not accelerating, wouldn't that automatically imply that the particle is a rest or moving at a constant velocity?)

Instead of what the book more or less says:
"A particle at rest or moving at a constant velocity in an inertial frame of reference implies that the sum of the forces acting on the particle is zero"

Physics news on Phys.org
alpha372 said:

Homework Statement

I'd just like some verification really: see step three

Homework Equations

net force = 0 --> equilibrium; net force = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come to the conclusion that the difference between Newton's first law and second law is acceleration:

Newton's first law:
absence of acceleration

Newton's second law:
presence of acceleration

I was wondering if it would be safe to say:

"A particle not accelerating in an inertial frame of reference implies that the net force acting on the particle is zero"

(after all, if it is not accelerating, wouldn't that automatically imply that the particle is a rest or moving at a constant velocity?)

Instead of what the book more or less says:
"A particle at rest or moving at a constant velocity in an inertial frame of reference implies that the sum of the forces acting on the particle is zero"
That's right, both statements are correct. Newton's first law is just a special case of his 2nd, when a=0. A particle at rest or moving with constant velocity, will remain at rest or moving with constant velocity, unless acted on by a net unbalanced force (Newton 1). If a net unbalnced force acts on a particle,it will accelerate in the direction of the unbalanced force (Newton2: Net Force = rate of change of momentum, or f=ma for constant mass).

PhanthomJay said:
That's right, both statements are correct. Newton's first law is just a special case of his 2nd, when a=0. A particle at rest or moving with constant velocity, will remain at rest or moving with constant velocity, unless acted on by a net unbalanced force (Newton 1). If a net unbalnced force acts on a particle,it will accelerate in the direction of the unbalanced force (Newton2: Net Force = rate of change of momentum, or f=ma for constant mass).

Thank you. I like how you pointed out that Net Force = rate of change of momentum, or f=ma for constant mass, I didn't know about the "Net Force = rate of change of momentum" equation.

oh, it has been awhile since I've been in a calc class.

Does, "rate of change of momentum" mean the derivative of momentum?

alpha372 said:
oh, it has been awhile since I've been in a calc class.

Does, "rate of change of momentum" mean the derivative of momentum?
It's been awhile for me, too! Yes, it's the first derivative of the momentum with respect to time. Newton 2 may be written as [tex]F_{net} = d(mv)/dt [/tex]. When mass is constant, this boils down to [tex]F_{net} = m(dv/dt)[/tex], and since dv/dt =a, then [tex]F_{net} = ma[/tex]. When mass is not constant (like in rocket propulsion problems where the rocket is burning off fuel), you've got to use the more general equation.

What is Newton's first law?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

How are Newton's first and second law different?

The main difference between Newton's first and second law is that the first law deals with objects at rest or in constant motion, while the second law deals with the acceleration of objects when a net force is applied to them.

Can you provide an example to illustrate the difference between Newton's first and second law?

Yes, for example, a book sitting on a table is an example of Newton's first law. The book will remain at rest unless someone applies a force to it. On the other hand, if you push the book with a net force, it will accelerate according to Newton's second law.

Why are Newton's first and second law important?

Newton's first and second laws are important because they help us understand the behavior of objects in motion and how forces affect them. They also provide the basis for many other laws and theories in physics, such as the laws of motion and the theory of gravity.