Can a Physicist Engineer a New Dental Prosthesis Method?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ruslan_Sharipov
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is an engineer and physicist with a PhD and associate professor position in a Russian university, currently working as a math educator. They have an idea for a new way to mount a single tooth prosthesis into a jaw bone and are seeking advice on how to implement it in surgical practice while maintaining authorship. The suggested approach is to convince a dental surgeon to try the technique in an animal model and coauthor a paper in a medical journal. The speaker is also advised to provide any necessary software or analysis, and if they are the original creator of the idea, they should be the first author of the paper. The speaker's previous work as an author of online mathematics textbooks is also mentioned.
Ruslan_Sharipov
I am an engineer and physicist by education. I am currently applied as a math educator (PhD and associate professor in a university in Russia). However, I have an idea of a new way for mounting a single tooth prosthesis into a jaw bone. Please, give me an advice, what should I do in order to implement my idea into the surgical practice and keep my authorship of it.

Biology news on Phys.org
Convince a dental surgeon to implement your idea, probably in an animal model. There are established procedures (which vary be location) for clinical trials in surgical innovation. The surgeon would know how to do this in your area.

If your new technique requires special software to be written or analysis of why it would work then you should do do that part. Then you can coauthor a paper in a medical journal with the surgeon. If it was really your idea in the beginning, and you did all the supporting analysis then you should be the first author.

It would almost certainly be unpublishable without experimental evidence that it works.

P.S. If you are the Ruslan Sharipov who wrote those online mathematics textbooks. I used them as an undergraduate, they're very good. I learned a lot from them.

As a scientist, my first piece of advice would be to conduct thorough research on your idea and its feasibility in the field of dentistry. This could involve consulting with dental professionals, conducting experiments or simulations, and reviewing relevant literature.

Once you have a solid understanding of the potential benefits and drawbacks of your idea, you can then consider seeking a patent for your invention. This would help protect your authorship and give you legal rights to your idea.

You could also reach out to dental organizations or conferences to present your idea and get feedback from experts in the field. This could potentially lead to collaborations and partnerships to help bring your idea to fruition.

Additionally, you may want to consider contacting a dental company or manufacturer to discuss the possibility of licensing your idea to them. This could ensure that your idea is implemented into surgical practice while still giving you credit and compensation for your contribution.

Overall, it is important to have a solid understanding of the scientific and practical aspects of your idea and to seek professional advice and guidance on how to bring it to the market. Best of luck with your innovative idea!

First of all, congratulations on your idea for a new way of mounting a single tooth prosthesis! I understand the importance of innovation and the potential impact it can have on improving current practices.

In order to implement your idea into surgical practice, I would suggest taking the following steps:

1. Conduct thorough research: Before approaching any medical professionals or companies with your idea, it is important to have a strong understanding of the current methods for mounting single tooth prostheses and the potential benefits and drawbacks of your proposed method. This will help you make a compelling case for your idea and address any potential concerns or questions.

2. Seek expert opinions: It would be beneficial to consult with experts in the field, such as dentists, oral surgeons, or prosthodontists, to get their professional opinions on your idea. They may also be able to provide insights and suggestions for further development.

3. Create a prototype: Consider creating a prototype of your idea to demonstrate how it would work and its potential benefits. This will make it easier for medical professionals to visualize and understand your concept.

4. Protect your idea: Before sharing your idea with anyone, it is important to protect your intellectual property. This can be done through patents, trademarks, or other forms of legal protection. You may want to consult with a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property to determine the best course of action for your specific idea.

5. Approach potential partners: Once you have a strong understanding of your idea and have protected it, you can approach medical professionals or companies who may be interested in partnering with you to develop and implement your idea.

Overall, it is important to be persistent and open to feedback and collaboration as you work to bring your idea to life. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and hope to hear about the success of your innovative idea in the future.

What is a single tooth prosthesis?

A single tooth prosthesis, also known as a dental implant or crown, is a custom-made artificial tooth that is used to replace a missing or damaged tooth. It is designed to blend in with your natural teeth and provide a functional and aesthetic replacement.

How is a single tooth prosthesis placed?

The placement of a single tooth prosthesis involves a surgical procedure where a titanium post is inserted into the jawbone and allowed to heal. After the healing process, an abutment is attached to the post, and the prosthetic tooth is then placed on top. The entire process can take several months to complete.

What are the benefits of a single tooth prosthesis?

A single tooth prosthesis offers several benefits, including improved appearance and self-confidence, better chewing and speaking abilities, and prevention of bone loss in the jaw. It also eliminates the need to modify adjacent teeth, which is required in traditional dental bridges.

How long does a single tooth prosthesis last?

The lifespan of a single tooth prosthesis depends on various factors such as oral hygiene, maintenance, and the materials used. With proper care, a dental implant can last for 20 years or more, while a crown may need replacement every 10-15 years.

What is the success rate of single tooth prosthesis?

The success rate of single tooth prosthesis is very high, with an average of 95-98%. Proper patient selection, good oral hygiene, and regular dental check-ups can further increase the success rate. However, certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, may affect the success of the prosthesis.