What are some helpful resources for writing math notes in LaTeX?

• Thread starter MotoPayton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notes
In summary, there is a program called Math Input Panel in Windows 7 that allows for drawing mathematical notation and converting it into math characters, similar to the program used in the link provided. However, it may be cumbersome to use with a mouse or touchpad. The font used in the link is standard LaTeX, specifically the Computer Modern font. Learning LaTeX is highly recommended for mathematicians. Other options for creating mathematical notes include using a graphics tablet and a program such as SmoothDraw or Microsoft Word's equation editor. There is also a website called Detexify that allows for drawing symbols and generating the corresponding LaTeX code. However, it may not work in Internet Explorer. It is also possible to copy nicely written text from Mathematica as LaTeX.
MotoPayton
I want to make my own math notes in the same style as this. Anyone know the program that is used?

It is the easiest to read font I have ever read in my life!

http://www.math.cornell.edu/~bterrell/dn.pdf

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is a program in Windows 7 called Math Input Panel that allows you to draw mathematical notation on a panel and it translates it into math characters, this seems to be, or else has an identical end result, as in your link.

In my experience it is somewhat cumbersome with a mouse/touchpad, but if you have a drawing tablet it would mostly likely be extremely helpful.

It seems to be standard LaTeX. Are you familiar with LaTeX??

No I have never heard of Latex.. I'll check it out though! Any chance anyone knows what font this guy is using?

This is standard latex, default Computer Modern font. MotoPayton, I suggest learning latex, it's pretty easy and it's mathematician's must-have knowledge.

MotoPayton said:
No I have never heard of Latex.. I'll check it out though!
You can practice it on the forum. See: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

Any chance anyone knows what font this guy is using?

If you search for "How can I find out the fonts in a PDF document", you can find various simple ways of doing this. How to do it depends on what operating system you use.

camillio said:
This is standard latex, default Computer Modern font. MotoPayton, I suggest learning latex, it's pretty easy and it's mathematician's must-have knowledge.

I second that. Latex is super powerful. Not only for equations but for general text formatting as well. I learned it recently. It took me about a week to be somewhat efficient at it, but it is totally worth it!

Vorde said:
There is a program in Windows 7 called Math Input Panel that allows you to draw mathematical notation on a panel and it translates it into math characters, this seems to be, or else has an identical end result, as in your link.

In my experience it is somewhat cumbersome with a mouse/touchpad, but if you have a drawing tablet it would mostly likely be extremely helpful.

the math input panel would be nice, if it worked.. (see attachment)

Mathematica is quite nice for making pretty looking notes, most 'hard to keyboard' characters can be done by pressing :esc: stuff :esc:, a definite integral is done by :esc:dintt:esc:, once you get used to it you can write stuff up pretty quickly

I usually just use a graphics tablet alongside smoothdraw, khanacademy style!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 675
Practically 100% of people who write mathematics papers use Latex. It takes a little while to get used to, but when you've got it, it's fantastic.

If you are planning on writing quite a bit of maths, it's well worth the effort of learning how to use it.

genericusrnme said:
the math input panel would be nice, if it worked.. (see attachment)

Mathematica is quite nice for making pretty looking notes, most 'hard to keyboard' characters can be done by pressing :esc: stuff :esc:, a definite integral is done by :esc:dintt:esc:, once you get used to it you can write stuff up pretty quickly

I usually just use a graphics tablet alongside smoothdraw, khanacademy style!

Yikes, I suggest a much better route, use this link!
http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

You write the symbol, and out pops the latex code. I refer to it all the time :) Oh, from what I recall, it doesn't work in internet explorer as your drawing doesn't appear.

If you really want to cheat, you can also use microsoft word 2007 or later. The equation editor can be toggled by "alt (and) =" and most latex commands work for shortcuts. What's nice about word is that it's a wysiwyg, though the typeset isn't quite as nice at latex.

theorem4.5.9 said:

You write the symbol, and out pops the latex code. I refer to it all the time :) Oh, from what I recall, it doesn't work in internet explorer as your drawing doesn't appear.

If you really want to cheat, you can also use microsoft word 2007 or later. The equation editor can be toggled by "alt (and) =" and most latex commands work for shortcuts. What's nice about word is that it's a wysiwyg, though the typeset isn't quite as nice at latex.

Oh wow, I was looking for that site a few days ago!

ty buddy :biggrin:

Also Mathematica let's you copy your nicely written text as latex, it's pretty handy too.

theorem4.5.9 said:

Obviously I still suggest properly learning how to use latex, but that's a really cool site - would be useful as a reference when you can't remember the code for some symbol and want a quick answer instead of trawling through a huge list.

In general, you can guess the latex code for most symbols though - most of it is quite intuitive. And, of course, the above doesn't help you in how to format your latex correctly - I'd suggest some of the online tutorials and a look at some of the common latex tips to get going.

One other point is that you can create new commands for symbols, I think, if you don't like the original code.

1. How can I organize my math notes effectively?

Organizing your math notes effectively involves creating a clear and logical structure for your notes. This can include using headings, subheadings, and bullet points to categorize and summarize the content. You may also want to consider color-coding or using symbols to make your notes more visually appealing and easier to understand.

2. What is the best way to take notes during a math lecture or class?

The best way to take notes during a math lecture or class is to actively listen and write down the main points and key concepts being discussed. It can also be helpful to write down any examples or problem-solving strategies that are demonstrated by the teacher. Be sure to leave enough space in your notes to add any additional information or clarifications later on.

3. Should I handwrite or type my math notes?

This ultimately depends on personal preference, but studies have shown that handwriting notes can lead to better retention and understanding of the material. However, if you are more comfortable typing, be sure to use a math equation editor or symbols to accurately represent the mathematical concepts being discussed.

4. How can I make my math notes more visually appealing?

One way to make your math notes more visually appealing is to use diagrams, graphs, and illustrations to supplement the written content. You can also use different colors and fonts to highlight important information or to make your notes more organized and easy to follow.

5. How can I review and revise my math notes effectively?

A good way to review and revise your math notes is to condense them into a summary or study guide. This will help you focus on the main concepts and identify any areas that you need to revisit. You can also use flashcards or practice problems to reinforce your understanding and retention of the material.