Can someone who knows Quantum Mechanics tell me if this video is a good intro?

In summary: His explanation of quantization is problematic in that he equates quantum mechanics with wave mechanics which is not correct. He also does not give a clear explanation of what is meant by a wavefunction.
MattA147
Hi guys, I have recently come across a video on YouTube which gives you a brief intro to Quantum Mechanics/Physics. Can someone tell me if this video is accurate? Could someone suggest some introductory reading or resources for learning QM? Is it even accessible to a 15 year old? Should I just wait till uni to learn QM? The video I mentioned is provided in the link below. :) Thanks for any feedback and advice in advance. :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro Lewin's lectures might be better at teaching an introduction:

Lewin is always a good choice, if for no other reason than his enthusiasm for the subject I think is just what a high schooler needs to get excited about the subject.

Prof Binney has a whole QM course available online:

Binney is great too, but way to advanced for a 15 year old, unless he's some kind of prodigy. His class relys on an accompanying linear algebra course which he mentions in the first few lectures, and introducing QM using Dirac notation, as Binney does, is more likely to turn most newbie's off than anything else.

The Brightstorm guy in the video Matt posted is great for all areas of physics as an intro. There are many other of sort of "amateur" presentations of QM on you tube also, some better than others. The key is to keep hunting around until you find someone who you feel is talking your language and at the level you can understand.

MattA147 said:
Can someone tell me if this video is accurate?
Yes it is.

MattA147 said:
Could someone suggest some introductory reading or resources for learning QM? Is it even accessible to a 15 year old? Should I just wait till uni to learn QM?
I would suggest you to read popular science books on quantum mechanics, such as
A. Rae, Quantum Physics Illusion or Reality?

I found 'The Quantum World' by John Polkinghorn to be a very good introduction to quantum mechanics.

MattA147 said:
Can someone tell me if this video is accurate?
Not all of it. His statements about Schrodinger's Equation and quantization are the most problematic ones. In contrast, his explanation of probability distribution is pretty good, all things considering.

As far as being a good introduction, not if you actually want to learn it. Best introduction for learning QM is a textbook on QM.

Don't forget this one to get your juices flowing =)

micky_gta said:
Don't forget this one to get your juices flowing =)

Nice animation. Did you notice the "What the Bleep" poster in the background on the wall?

jedishrfu said:
Nice animation. Did you notice the "What the Bleep" poster in the background on the wall?
"What the bleep" is a crackpot movie banned here.

Evo said:
"What the bleep" is a crackpot movie banned here.

Thanks, Evo. I know that. I just thought it detracted a bit from the animated video.

K^2 said:
Not all of it. His statements about Schrodinger's Equation and quantization are the most problematic ones. In contrast, his explanation of probability distribution is pretty good, all things considering.

Interestingly, I see it the other way around. I find his statements about quantization mostly accurate and his explanation of measurement and probability problematic.

So what do you consider to be incorrect about his explanation of quantization?

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how particles interact and behave in ways that are different from classical physics.

2. Can someone who doesn't have a background in physics understand Quantum Mechanics?

While a basic understanding of physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a background in physics to understand the basics of Quantum Mechanics. Many resources, such as videos and articles, provide introductions to Quantum Mechanics that are accessible to non-scientists.

3. How accurate is this video in explaining Quantum Mechanics?

This would depend on the specific video in question. It is always best to consult multiple sources and do further research to ensure accuracy. It is also important to keep in mind that Quantum Mechanics is a complex and constantly evolving field, so some information may be outdated.

4. Is Quantum Mechanics just a theory or has it been proven?

Quantum Mechanics is a well-established and widely accepted theory in physics. It has been extensively tested and has consistently been shown to accurately predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, like all scientific theories, it is subject to further testing and refinement.

5. Can Quantum Mechanics be applied to everyday life?

While we may not notice it in our daily lives, Quantum Mechanics is actually the basis for many modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in understanding chemical reactions and the properties of materials. However, the principles of Quantum Mechanics can be difficult to observe directly in our daily experiences.