Probability and quantum possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum mechanics and the probability of events occurring. The likelihood of something like walking through a wall is extremely low, with a probability of 1 in a billion ^1023 or even larger. However, with enough time, any event that can happen will likely occur.
NanaToru
So this might be a too simplistic question on many accounts.

My pchem professor said to us that in QM, anything that can happen will. And it's a matter of probability, right?

I guess I'm just curious what the scales are for something like, say, walking through a wall (the go-to example for a lot of popular science books on QM)? Like, 1 in a billion or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
NanaToru said:
My pchem professor said to us that in QM, anything that can happen will. And it's a matter of probability, right?

Not quite. It says that anything that can happen, well, can happen. (It is not guaranteed to happen) Yes it is a matter of probability. But don't take this to mean that all of reality and life is probability. Even if it is you don't live your life in fear that every particle in your body is going to quantum tunnel in random directions at the same time.

I guess I'm just curious what the scales are for something like, say, walking through a wall (the go-to example for a lot of popular science books on QM)? Like, 1 in a billion or what?

1 in a billion ^1023. Actually I don't know the right number, and I doubt anyone actually does, but I guarantee it to be so large it is effectively incomprehensible.

The likelihood of that happening is so low that the universe is far too young for that to be an outcome.

At least, most likely. :smile: You never know, maybe something like that has happened.

Drakkith said:
1 in a billion ^1023. Actually I don't know the right number, and I doubt anyone actually does, but I guarantee it to be so large it is effectively incomprehensible.

That number probably does the odds some justice. I remember calculating the probability of jumping and tunneling all the way to Jupiter, and it was like [itex]e^{10^{10^6}}[/itex] or something. I don't even remember now.

It should be noted that anything that can happen will happen with enough time. Even the probability above says that if the universe lasts long enough, a tunneling event of that magnitude should likely happen.

soothsayer said:
That number probably does the odds some justice. I remember calculating the probability of jumping and tunneling all the way to Jupiter, and it was like [itex]e^{10^{10^6}}[/itex] or something. I don't even remember now.

It should be noted that anything that can happen will happen with enough time. Even the probability above says that if the universe lasts long enough, a tunneling event of that magnitude should likely happen.

My god that's an enormous number.

It may have been smaller, I can't remember now XD It was definitely e^10 to a really big power, but it may have been closer to 100 than one million. At that point though, what's the difference, really? It's not going to happen, lol.

What is probability and how is it related to quantum possibilities?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. In quantum mechanics, the concept of probability is used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. This is because at the quantum level, particles do not behave in a predictable manner and their behavior can only be described in terms of probabilities.

What is the difference between classical and quantum probabilities?

Classical probabilities are based on the assumption that an event can only have one outcome. In contrast, quantum probabilities take into account the possibility of multiple outcomes occurring simultaneously, known as superposition. This means that in quantum mechanics, probabilities are used to describe the likelihood of a particle existing in different states at the same time.

How do quantum probabilities affect our understanding of reality?

The concept of quantum probabilities challenges our traditional understanding of reality, as it suggests that particles can exist in multiple states at once and only take on a definite state when observed. This is known as the observer effect and has implications for our perception of the universe and the role of consciousness in shaping reality.

Can quantum probabilities be predicted?

No, quantum probabilities cannot be predicted with certainty. They can only be described in terms of probabilities, which means that the exact behavior of particles at the quantum level is inherently unpredictable. This is known as the uncertainty principle and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

What is the role of probability in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, probability is used to describe the likelihood of a quantum system collapsing into a specific state when measured. This is used in algorithms to perform calculations and solve problems that are not feasible with classical computing methods. Probability is also used in error correction in quantum computing to account for the inherent unpredictability of quantum systems.