Choosing a control volume

by Woopydalan
Tags: choosing, control, volume
Share this thread:
Woopydalan
Sep5-13, 11:37 PM
P: 746
Hello,

My professor did a lecture about mass conservation in a system. He basically explained the lining that separates the system from the surroundings is the control surface, and all that is contained within the system is the control volume.

I think it was explained rather loosely, and we need to have a firm understanding of the concept. I think it was somewhat vague as to the applications of control volumes and how to choose it for a given problem, or even what it really is. I feel somewhat lost on this part, and my textbook is not followed closely by the instructor.

I was wondering if anyone knew some good literature to read on choosing control volumes and explaining what it means, if not if someone could give some explanation, I would be very grateful.

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Printing the metals of the future
New gadget helps the vision-impaired to read graphs
3D printing helps designers build a better brick
Simon Bridge
Sep6-13, 01:32 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,463
The point is that it does not matter how you choose the control volume - so long as the volume enclosed is isolated. It's an entirely abstract concept. If you are also doing a practical course, you will learn more about what constitutes a control there.
Q_Goest
Sep6-13, 06:44 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,903
There's some background here: http://www.physicsforums.com/library...tem&itemid=365

Chestermiller
Sep10-13, 07:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 5,060
Choosing a control volume

See Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot

Register to reply