Stainless steel crystal structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a simple crystal unit cell structure for stainless steel, but it is explained that stainless steel is an alloy and therefore does not have a simple crystal structure. The different types or grades of stainless steel are mentioned, along with their corresponding microstructures. The possibility of simulating stainless steel is brought up, but it is clarified that there is no base crystal structure for stainless steel due to it being an alloy. The conversation also briefly touches on the topic of corrosion and the surface effect of chromium in stainless steel.
tau13
Hi,
I'm looking for a simple s.s crystal unit cell structure and can't find it anywhere.
I understand that stainless steel is a very general word and takes many forms and has many different types, but isn't there a standard type that people use in the industry and ususlay talk about when they use the word "stainless steel" like 316L which I've seen a lot..

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe you're the one who should do some reading: :-)
http://www.holland-hills.com/saltwaterchlorine.html
anyway, I know that the lattice information of Iron exists for the different forms that iron takes in different types of steel depending on its carbon content. I'm really searching for some kind of coordinates for performing simulations of stainless steel.

tau13 said:
Hi,
I'm looking for a simple s.s crystal unit cell structure and can't find it anywhere.
I understand that stainless steel is a very general word and takes many forms and has many different types, but isn't there a standard type that people use in the industry and usually talk about when they use the word "stainless steel" like 316L which I've seen a lot..
There are different types or grades of stainless steel for which the microstructure depends on the composition, including carbon content.

The three main groups are austenitic, ferritic and martensitic, and duplex combinations of these, e.g., austenitic-ferritic, ferritic-martensitic.

Austenitic steels have a predominant fcc structure, or γ-phase.

Ferritic is bcc (α or δ) structure.

Martensitics have a distorted tetragonal structure.

The microstructures depends on temperature at which the heat is quenched and quench rate.

http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=kts&NM=153

There are also cementite, bainite, and pearlite.

Last edited:
tau13 said:
maybe you're the one who should do some reading: :-)
http://www.holland-hills.com/saltwaterchlorine.html
Sorry, but a cute picture from the site of a vendor of pool equipment doesn't pass muster on PF :smile:

My point is that there is no "molecule of salt water," there are going to be solvated ions here and there in the solution, but no fundamental unit.

tau13 said:
anyway, I know that the lattice information of Iron exists for the different forms that iron takes in different types of steel depending on its carbon content. I'm really searching for some kind of coordinates for performing simulations of stainless steel.
Again, the problem is that there is no base crystal stucture to s.s. You won't have a uniform crystal structure throughout the metal.

Here are some technical papers which deal with the subject of calculating the properties of stainless steel:
http://iopscience.iop.org/0965-0393/17/2/025010/
http://iopscience.iop.org/0965-0393/19/8/085008/
http://www.nature.com/nmat/journal/v2/n1/abs/nmat790.html

heehee... I was kidding. I'm a master student in chemical engineering :-)
I will look at what you've posted,
Astronuc I know that, but the crystal structure that is given is always for the Iron alone and I was wandering can simulations be made for SS.

What do you mean by "for iron alone"?
Stainless steel is an alloy, the iron and chromium form a single crystalline structure (substitutional solid solution). The carbon atoms I believe are in the interstices of the lattice.
See solid solutions and alloys for more details.

tau13 said:
Astronuc I know that, but the crystal structure that is given is always for the Iron alone and I was wandering can simulations be made for SS.

'wander' - walk or move in a leisurely, casual, or aimless way.

'wonder' - to think or speculate curiously.

tau13 said:

As stated above Steel is an alloy. C, Cr, Mo, ...etc. can dissolve in iron or form precipitates. If they dissolve they can do this on interstitial or substitutional sites, also they may order or disorder, they may segregate to grain boundaries, dislocations,...
Alloy theory is a vast topic. You may need to read more into it. But there is no such simple thing as the crystal structure of stainless steel.

As far as I remember, stainless steel contains lots of chromium, so that a thin sheet of chromium oxide forms on it's surface which hinders further corrosion.
So, it is a surface effect. The crystal structure of the bulk won't differ much from other highly alloyed steels.

1. What is the crystal structure of stainless steel?

Stainless steel has a face-centered cubic (FCC) crystal structure, which means that the unit cell consists of eight atoms arranged in a cube with one atom at each corner and one atom in the center of each face.

2. How does the crystal structure of stainless steel affect its properties?

The FCC crystal structure of stainless steel allows for high strength, ductility, and corrosion resistance due to the close-packed arrangement of atoms and the ability for the atoms to easily move and re-arrange under stress.

3. Are all stainless steels made up of the same crystal structure?

No, there are different types of stainless steel with varying amounts of different elements, such as nickel and chromium, which can result in different crystal structures. However, most stainless steels used in everyday applications have an FCC crystal structure.

4. How is the crystal structure of stainless steel determined?

The crystal structure of stainless steel can be determined through X-ray diffraction, which measures the angles and intensities of diffracted X-rays to identify the arrangement of atoms in a material.

5. Can the crystal structure of stainless steel be changed?

Yes, the crystal structure of stainless steel can be changed through processes such as cold working, heat treatment, and alloying. These methods can alter the arrangement of atoms and affect the material's mechanical and chemical properties.