How far does a car travel after accelerating to 60km/h in 4.2 seconds?

• Thread starter Graham Downs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the distance a car has traveled in meters after accelerating from 0 to 60km/h in 4.2 seconds. The answer depends on the rate of acceleration, which cannot be assumed without more information. An equation is provided for determining the distance traveled assuming a constant acceleration.
Graham Downs
Hi, all

I have a question that I've been Googling for the past hour or so, and cannot find the answer to. I seem to remember it has something to do with the logarithmic scale. I hope somebody here can answer it for me:

A car accelerates from 0 to 60km/h in 4.2 seconds. What I'd like to know is how far the car has traveled (In metres) after the 4.2 seconds - when it has attained its 60km/h speed.

We cannot assume a constant acceleration, as the speed increases gradually every second of the 4.2 seconds.

Can anybody help with this?

Cheers
Nocturne

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If we do not assume contant and do not have the rate of acceleration as a function of time there is not a unique answer to the question. The distance traveled is determined by the rate of acceleration.

Assuming a contant acceleration you can use:
[tex] x = \frac 1 2 a t^2 [/tex] with

[tex] a = \frac { \Delta v } { \Delta t} = \frac {60 km/h} {4.2 s} [/tex]

You will need to convert the 4.2 seconds to hours.

Last edited:
You need to know what the acceleration of the car looks like, and that isn't that easy to find without making some pretty big assumptions.

What is distance travelled over time?

Distance travelled over time is a measure of the total physical distance an object has covered in a specific period of time.

How is distance travelled over time calculated?

To calculate distance travelled over time, you need to know the initial position and final position of the object, as well as the time it took to travel between those positions. The formula for distance is: distance = final position - initial position.

What are the units of distance travelled over time?

The units of distance travelled over time depend on the units used for initial and final position. For example, if these positions are measured in meters, then the distance travelled over time will be in meters. If they are measured in kilometers, then the distance travelled over time will be in kilometers.

How does speed affect distance travelled over time?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is travelling. The greater the speed, the greater the distance travelled over time. This means that an object travelling at a higher speed will cover more distance in a given amount of time compared to an object travelling at a slower speed.

What are some real-life applications of distance travelled over time?

Distance travelled over time is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and transportation. It is used to calculate the efficiency and performance of vehicles, measure the distance between planets in space, and understand the motion of objects in everyday life.