Determining Frequency Response Using Nodal Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency response for a given circuit using nodal analysis. The speaker is having trouble with the analysis and is unsure if there is something they are overlooking. They are advised to use two unknowns, the transfer function and Va, in their equations to solve for the frequency response.
Double A
I am trying to find the frequency response for the given circuit.

Problem_6.3.JPG

My instructor recomended using a nodal analysis method. However, while attempting to use the nodal analysis I end up with all my variables equaling zero (Va = 0, Vin = 0 and Vout = 0). Is there something I'm missing or over looking?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation [Va-Vin]/2000 = 0 doesn't make sense to me. However the next two look okay. If you let one of your unknowns be the transfer function (Vo/Vi) and the other unknown = Va, then you have two equations with 2 unknowns. Just solve for the two unknowns (using those two expressions). Upon solving, I don't get Va=Vo=Vi=0. Try it and see what you get.

Last edited:

I understand your frustration in trying to determine the frequency response using nodal analysis. It is important to make sure that all of your variables and equations are correct before attempting to solve the problem. It is possible that you may have made a mistake in setting up the nodal equations or in your calculations. I recommend carefully reviewing your circuit and equations to ensure they are accurate. Additionally, it may be helpful to seek assistance from your instructor or a peer to double-check your work and provide guidance. With careful attention to detail and a thorough understanding of the nodal analysis method, you should be able to successfully determine the frequency response for the given circuit.

1. What is nodal analysis and how is it used to determine frequency response?

Nodal analysis is a method for analyzing electrical circuits that involves breaking the circuit down into individual nodes, or connection points. By applying Kirchhoff's current law and Ohm's law, we can determine the voltage and current at each node. This information can then be used to calculate the magnitude and phase response of the circuit at different frequencies, giving us the frequency response.

2. How does frequency response affect circuit performance?

The frequency response of a circuit determines how it responds to different frequencies of input signals. It is important to understand the frequency response of a circuit in order to design and optimize its performance. For example, in audio circuits, the frequency response determines the range of frequencies that can be accurately reproduced by the circuit. In communication systems, the frequency response affects the quality of the transmitted signal.

3. What type of circuits can be analyzed using nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a general method that can be applied to any type of linear circuit, including DC circuits, AC circuits, and circuits with reactive components such as capacitors and inductors. It can also be used for circuits with multiple inputs and outputs.

4. Can nodal analysis be used to analyze non-linear circuits?

No, nodal analysis is only applicable to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits, which have components that do not follow Ohm's law, require more complex methods of analysis such as the use of differential equations.

5. What are the advantages of using nodal analysis over other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal analysis is a systematic and efficient method for analyzing circuits, allowing for the calculation of voltages and currents at different nodes without having to solve a system of equations. It also allows for the analysis of circuits with multiple inputs and outputs. Additionally, it can be easily adapted to analyze circuits with reactive components, making it a versatile tool for circuit analysis.