How Do You Calculate the Increase in H2 to Double NH3 at Equilibrium?

In summary: There might not be a simpler way, but there is a way to simplify it. You can divide the first equation by the second equation and then solve for x.
cscott
A 1.00L vessel contains at equilibrium 0.300 mol of [itex]N_2[/itex], 0.400 mol [itex]H_2[/itex] and 0.100 mol [itex]NH_3[/itex]. If the temp is maintained constant, how many moles of [itex]H_2[/itex] must be introduced into the vessel in order to double the equilibrium concentration of [itex]NH_3[/itex]

I said that if I let the change in conc. of [itex]H_2[/itex] be equal to x, then the change in conc. of [itex]\[NH_3\][/itex] would be 2/3x (from the chemical equation). Can't I just equation 2/3x with 0.100? It just seems too easy...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reaction is:

[itex]N_2 + 3H_2[/itex] -> [itex]2NH_3[/itex]

So, in equilibrium we have:
Concentration of [itex]N_2[/itex]: 0.300 mol.dm-3
Concentration of [itex]3H_2[/itex]: 0.400 mol.dm-3
Concentration of [itex]2NH_3[/itex]: 0.100 mol.dm-3

With this values you can determine the equilibrium constant Kc. I think you know the formula, if not1.

But the problem asks how many moles of H2 must be introduced into the vessel in order to double the equilibrium concentration of NH3.

Then in the new equilibrium the concentration of each substance must be:
Concentration of [itex]N_2[/itex]: 0.300 + x mol.dm-3
Concentration of [itex]3H_2[/itex]: 0.400 + 3x mol.dm-3
Concentration of [itex]2NH_3[/itex]: 0.200 mol.dm-3

Now you apply the equilibrium constant formula and determine x and the solution of the problem.

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_Constant

Last edited by a moderator:
So there will be four solutions?

Four solutions?
How?
The solution to the problem itself should be 3x. And you find x as I explained.
If you don't understand I will resolve the problem entirely.

I see now. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. I hope you check if this is correct with your teacher.

PPonte gave some very good points, except the stoichiometries should be modified

Then in the new equilibrium the concentration of each substance must be:
Concentration of : 0.300 + x mol.dm-3
Concentration of : 0.400 + 3x mol.dm-3
Concentration of : 0.200 mol.dm-3

Use factor labeling, and use x for the moles of hydrogen gas introduced.

CGT, you are right. But I just used this stoichiometries in order to simplify the calculations since I prefer to use integral numbers than fractions. If x is the number of moles of hydrogen introduced, the final concentration of N2 is 0.300 + x/3 M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: How the heck do you solve for x? I found that K = 0.52

The equilibrium equation would be

K = [[itex]2NH_3[/itex]]^2 / [[itex]H_2[/itex]]^3[[itex]N_2[/itex]]

0.52 = (0.200)^2 / (0.400+3x)^3(0.300+x)

Once you expand that, you get some ridiculous quartic equation. Is there an easier way to solve for x? :S

Last edited:
MidniteBlaze said:
Question: How the heck do you solve for x? I found that K = 0.52

The equilibrium equation would be

K = [[itex]2NH_3[/itex]]^2 / [[itex]H_2[/itex]]^3[[itex]N_2[/itex]]

0.52 = (0.200)^2 / (0.400+3x)^3(0.300+x)

Once you expand that, you get some ridiculous quartic equation. Is there an easier way to solve for x? :S

hey... sorry if the thread is old, but I am having the same problem
I can't solve
0.52 = ((0.2)^2)/((0.3+x)*(0.4+3x)^3)
I get a huge 4th degree polynomial

What is equilibrium concentration?

Equilibrium concentration refers to the state in a chemical reaction where the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This results in a constant concentration of reactants and products.

How is equilibrium concentration calculated?

Equilibrium concentration is calculated using the equilibrium constant (K) and the initial concentrations of the reactants and products. The equation is K = ([C]^c[D]^d)/([A]^a[B]^b), where [A], [B], [C], and [D] represent the molar concentrations of the reactants and products, and a, b, c, and d are the coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

What factors affect equilibrium concentration?

The factors that affect equilibrium concentration include temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of the reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium position, affecting the concentration of reactants and products.

How does Le Chatelier's principle relate to equilibrium concentration?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a change, the system will shift in a direction that minimizes the effect of the change. This means that if the concentration of a reactant or product is changed, the system will shift to restore the equilibrium concentration.

Why is equilibrium concentration important?

Equilibrium concentration is important because it allows us to predict the direction of a chemical reaction and the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. It also helps us to understand how changes in conditions can affect the equilibrium position and concentration of species in a reaction.