Exploring Energy Transfers between Ice and Steam

In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of energy between ice and steam and the misconception that energy can only flow from a hotter substance to a colder substance. The expert explains that energy can flow both ways and clarifies the concept of kinetic energy and temperature. The amount of energy transferred from steam to ice is greater overall, but there can still be some energy transferred from ice to steam.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. I wasnt sure where to post this, since it isn't an actual question i need to complete for school, but it relates to it.

When my year 11 physics class was solving the final temperature of an ice/steam mixture, my teacher kept talking about how energy is transferred too AND from the ice. Now, originally, i thought energy was transferred from a hotter substance to a colder substance, until their temperatures were equal. So in the ice/steam case, i would have thought that energy was only transferred from the steam to the ice.

I tried getting him to explain the transfer of energy from the ice, but he just couldn't give me a straigh forward answer. He even referred to it as 'cold energy' at one stage.

If anyone could bring shed some light on this topic, id greatly appreciate it.

Thanks alot,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what point your teacher was trying to express. Under normal conditions, energy spontaneosly flows from the hotter object to the colder object. (To reverse this natural direction of flow--like in a refrigerator--requires work to be done.)

Can heat flow from ice? Sure, if it flows to something even colder. (Ice itelf can be any temperature from 0 degrees C on down. Ice at 0 degrees is hot compared to ice at -20 degrees.)

Thats exacly what i thought. I guess ill have to ask him again about this one.

Thanks for the reply,
Dan.

danago said:
Hey. I wasnt sure where to post this, since it isn't an actual question i need to complete for school, but it relates to it.

When my year 11 physics class was solving the final temperature of an ice/steam mixture, my teacher kept talking about how energy is transferred too AND from the ice. Now, originally, i thought energy was transferred from a hotter substance to a colder substance, until their temperatures were equal. So in the ice/steam case, i would have thought that energy was only transferred from the steam to the ice.

I tried getting him to explain the transfer of energy from the ice, but he just couldn't give me a straigh forward answer. He even referred to it as 'cold energy' at one stage.
Unless the ice is at absolute 0, the water molecules in the ice have kinetic energy (mostly vibrational). Since temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the water molecules, we know that they do not all have the same energy. Some are vibrating faster and some more slowly than average. Some may even be moving around and some may have sufficient energy to leave the ice surface. Similarly, in steam the molecules have a range of kinetic energies. At any given moment, there may be some ice molecules that have more energy than some of the steam molecules.

So when the hot steam (water molecules with higher kinetic energy) contacts the ice, what happens? The average energy of the ice molecules increases and the average energy of the steam molecules decreases. Some original energy from the ice molecules may actually increase the energy of some steam molecules, but overall, the heat energy flows from the steam to the ice.

AM

oh ok. I see now. Thanks for clearing that up.

So the energy tranferred from the steam to the ice is much greater still than the amount from the ice to the steam though?

1. How does energy transfer occur between ice and steam?

Energy transfer between ice and steam occurs through a process called phase change. This is when matter changes from one state (solid, liquid, or gas) to another, and energy is either absorbed or released in the process.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of ice and steam?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of the substance by 1 degree Celsius. The specific heat capacity of ice is 2.09 J/g°C and the specific heat capacity of steam is 2.03 J/g°C.

3. How do temperature and energy relate in the phase change of water?

In the phase change of water, temperature and energy are inversely related. This means that as energy is added to or removed from water, the temperature will either increase or decrease, respectively. However, during a phase change, the temperature will remain constant until the entire substance has changed states.

4. What happens to the energy absorbed or released during a phase change?

The energy absorbed or released during a phase change is used to either break or form intermolecular bonds between the water molecules. In the case of ice melting into water, energy is used to break the bonds holding the molecules in a rigid structure. In the process of water evaporating into steam, energy is used to break the bonds holding the molecules together in a liquid state.

5. How does pressure affect the phase change of water?

Pressure does not directly affect the phase change of water, but it can indirectly influence it. For example, applying pressure to ice will increase its melting point, as the added pressure makes it more difficult for molecules to break free from their rigid structure. On the other hand, decreasing pressure can lower the boiling point of water, as the molecules have less resistance in escaping into a gaseous state.