Current status of Newton's Third Law of Motion

In summary: Over all I think Newton' s third law is valid in qunatum mechanics (whether we don't know it fully or not).In summary, Newton's Third Law of Mechanics holds in classical physics, but it does not always hold in relativity. When special relativity is taken into account, the third law is still valid. However, when working with quantum mechanics, the third law is not defined.
loom91
Hi,

I was wondering, what is the status of Newton's Third Law of Mechanics in modern physics? I'm told that it does not always hold. In that case, when and how does it break down? Thanks.

Molu

Physics news on Phys.org
loom91 said:
Hi,

I was wondering, what is the status of Newton's Third Law of Mechanics in modern physics? I'm told that it does not always hold. In that case, when and how does it break down? Thanks.

Molu

Well, Newton's Third Law is a concept that is both defined and valid in classical physics. So this law always holds.

However, when going to special relativity the third Newton Law is also valid. Beware that we are talking about F = dp/dt here and NOT F=ma. After the calculation of the dp/dt term, you shall see that force is no longer parallel to acceleration in special relativity. The reason for this is the presence of the Lorentz factor (the gamma) in special relativity. This factor contains a v²-part in the denominator that is also dependent of time.

For more info click on nr. 11

regards
marlon

Does it also hold in classical fields? What about quantum fields?

But this law is not defined for quantummechanical phenomena. For example, when you use concepts like acceleration or velocity you need to know how an object's orbit varies with time (this is essentially what velocity is all about). This clearly contradictis with the HUP.

Just to be clear, i did not say the F = dp/dt is wrong in the case of QM. What i say is that this law is NOT DEFINED for QM-theory.

marlon

In case you're wondering, <dV/dx>=-d<p>/dt in QM, which is the same thing as saying that <F>=d<p>/dt, so it is true in a sense.

Manchot said:
In case you're wondering, <dV/dx>=-d<p>/dt in QM, which is the same thing as saying that <F>=d<p>/dt, so it is true in a sense.

But that's the second law, what about the Third? And also, does the third law work for classical fields (Maxwell/Einstein)? Thanks.

Molu

Manchot said:

No that is very much untrue for several reasons. First of all, you are working with observables here and nut just p, a or F vectors. Secondly, haven't you read my remark on the violation of the HUP ? Doesn't that count ?

marlon

It is true Newton's third law is made for classical physics like Bohr's theory etc. but as bohr's theory is evolve or redifined by quantum physics you can also state third law in qm's language. what you have to do is to take account of changes occur at atomic level in a body when it is in acceleration or under the influence of any type of force.
Over all I think Newton' s third law is valid in qunatum mechanics (whether we don't know it fully or not).

For those saying the third law works in QM: how do you define the force on a wavefunction?

Since Newton's laws deal with dynamics we need to work with wavefunctions satisfying the time-dependant Schroedinger equation, so for example the wavefunction is a time-evolving superposition of constant momentum eigenstates? How do you find dp/dt of this?

I don't want to rule it out because of the uncertainty principle alone, since we can work with momentum and have no need for position- and the energy/time relation is not so clear cut in my head since time is not an observable like energy.

1. What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction on the first object.

2. Is Newton's Third Law of Motion still considered valid?

Yes, Newton's Third Law of Motion is still considered a fundamental law of physics and is widely accepted by the scientific community. It has been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

3. Are there any exceptions to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

No, there are no known exceptions to Newton's Third Law of Motion. It applies to all interactions between objects, regardless of their size or composition.

4. How does Newton's Third Law of Motion relate to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law of Motion can be observed in many everyday situations, such as when walking or running, pushing a door open, or bouncing a ball. It also helps explain how rockets and other forms of propulsion work.

5. Has Newton's Third Law of Motion been challenged or modified in any way?

No, there have been no major challenges or modifications to Newton's Third Law of Motion. However, it is important to note that it is a simplified model and does not take into account certain factors, such as friction and air resistance, which can affect the outcome of an interaction.