Curve Sketching: How to Identify Multiple Global Minimums in a Quartic Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to have 2 global minimums, and it is concluded that there can only be one global minimum, but a function can have multiple local minimums. The function y=x^4-2x^2-2 is used as an example, and it is determined that there are two local minimums and one local maximum between them. It is also discussed that the definition of a minimum is less than or equal to for a minimum, and the conversation ends with a suggestion to check the critical points again.
Hollysmoke
Is it possible to have 2 global minimums? I'm just having trouble determining whether this quartic has minimums or not =/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hollysmoke said:
Is it possible to have 2 global minimums? I'm just having trouble determining whether this quartic has minimums or not =/

No. There is only one global minimum, however, a function can be minimal in more than one place.

For example, the function:
f(x)=0
is minimal everywhere.

For the function y=x^4-2x^2-2, does this look right, then? I know the IPs are right but I'm not sure about the minimums.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3466/graphpickup5mj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
(0, -2) isn't a local minimum.

err...it should be maximum, right?

Right! (I wasn't sure if you were marking it as a minimum or not, but I wanted to be sure you noticed)

That was a typo on my part (thank you for noticing it!)
So there are no minimums in this case?

Becaue when I try to calculate it, the 3 critical numbers I get are 2,-2, and 0. But if I sub in 2 or -2, I get 6, which doesn't seem right...

No, there are minimums, just no absolute minimums. There are actually 2 local minimums, and one local maximum between them.

Last edited:
NateTG said:
No. There is only one global minimum, however, a function can be minimal in more than one place.

For example, the function:
f(x)=0
is minimal everywhere.

But isn't the definition of the minimum (not at a domain endpoint) that:

[tex]f(x \pm \epsilon) > f(x)[/tex] for sufficiently small [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

But [tex]f(x \pm \epsilon) = f(x)[/tex] if [tex]f(x)=0[/tex] for all x and so would not have any minimum.

Last edited:
Hollysmoke said:
So there are no minimums in this case?

Your plot should make it obvious that there is in fact a global (absolute) minimum so you should either distrust your plot or your work.

Hollysmoke said:
Becaue when I try to calculate it, the 3 critical numbers I get are 2,-2, and 0. But if I sub in 2 or -2, I get 6, which doesn't seem right...

Check your critical points again! (in the plot we trust)

Beam me down said:
But isn't the definition of the minimum (not at a domain endpoint) that:...

Nope, it's a less than or equal to, [tex]\leq[/tex], for a minimum. Or [tex]\geq[/tex] if you're looking in a mirror.

1. What is curve sketching?

Curve sketching is a process of visually representing a function by plotting its key features such as intercepts, extrema, and asymptotes. It helps in understanding the behavior and characteristics of a function.

2. What is a quartic function?

A quartic function is a polynomial function of degree four. It is represented by the general form f(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are coefficients. It can have up to four real roots and four turning points.

3. How do you identify multiple global minimums in a quartic function?

To identify multiple global minimums in a quartic function, you need to find the points where the function changes direction from decreasing to increasing. These points are the local minimums, and the lowest among them is the global minimum. In a quartic function, there can be up to four local minimums, and the number of global minimums can be either one or two.

4. What is the role of the first derivative in curve sketching?

The first derivative of a function represents its rate of change at a given point. It can help in identifying the critical points, which are the points where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. These points can be used to determine the local extrema and the concavity of the function, which are crucial in curve sketching.

5. Can a quartic function have more than two global minimums?

No, a quartic function can have a maximum of two global minimums. This is because a quartic function is a polynomial of degree four and can have a maximum of four real roots. As the function approaches infinity, the graph becomes increasingly flat, and therefore, there can only be a maximum of two global minimums.