Help Maximizing Range of Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving finding the best angle for maximum range of a trebuchet with a release speed of 50 m/s. The student is required to calculate the range for 5 different angles and find the best angle to a hundredth of a degree. They also discuss using equations and Newton's laws of motion to find the answer. The conversation concludes with the student thanking for the help and stating that they have finished the assignment.
Rowah
My teacher gave me a project that requires us to find the angle that "produces the maximum range for a trebuchet with a release speed of 50 m/s."

My (Delta)h value is +46 and I have to calculate the range produced by 5 different angles, graph it, and find the best angle to a hundredth of a degree. I'm going to calculate for the angles 5, 25, 45, 65 and 85.

My Questions:

1) Are there any formulae or techniques that would allow me to figure out the best angle in advance? I know my teacher is a perfectionist and DEMANDS absolute accuracy! Would this formula work? I used it and got a value of 51.3542 degrees. http://scitation.aip.org/servlet/GetImg?key=PHTEAH000043000002000098000001%3A0%3A2%3A28&t=a&d=a

2) My (delta)h value is +46, my teacher said "it would apply to a group trying to target a castle 50 meters above them." Does that mean (delta)y is equal to +46?

Thanks in Advance ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok logically you can deduce the answer but its better to work it out this way a.) because youll understand it better and b.) because youll get marks for working

you know Newtons laws of motion
ok logically you can deduce the answer but its better to work it out this way a.) because youll understand it better and b.) because youll get marks for working

Newtons laws of motion tell you:
[tex]s = ut + (1/2)a{t^2}[/tex]

You can, from your information, work out the component (verticle and horizontal) form of your velocity. From the above equations you work out when the projectile will hit the ground solving for time (be careful, this produces a quadratic, think what the other solution might be!) when you have this time constant you multiply by your horizontal component to get max distance.

hope this helps
-G

Sorry, I'm only in Grade 12 physics, I don't understand >_<

I have no idea what "s" and "u" are.

Last edited:
FunkyDwarf said:
...Newtons laws of motion tell you:
[tex]s = ut + (1/2)a{t^2}[/tex]...

This equation doesn't have anything to do with Newtons law of motion, which are a part of dynamics, and not kinematics.

's' represents displacement, and 'u' represents velocity.

ok fair point, its not from Newtons laws but he derived them when he basicallyt made up calculus (which made the universe more complicated and school harder :) )

but at the year 12 level those equations should be common place :yuck:

Cool, I finished the assignment, thanks guys :D

1. What factors affect the range of a projectile motion?

The range of a projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Air resistance may also play a role in reducing the range of a projectile.

2. How can I increase the range of a projectile?

To maximize the range of a projectile, you can increase the initial velocity and launch angle. Additionally, reducing air resistance by using a streamlined projectile or reducing the density of the medium can also help increase the range.

3. What is the optimal angle for maximizing range in projectile motion?

The optimal angle for maximizing range in projectile motion is 45 degrees. This is because at this angle, the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity are equal, resulting in the longest possible range.

4. Can changing the mass of the projectile affect its range?

Yes, changing the mass of the projectile can affect its range. In general, a lighter projectile will have a longer range as it is affected less by air resistance. However, the mass of the projectile may not have a significant impact on the range if other factors such as initial velocity and angle are optimized.

5. How does air resistance impact the range of a projectile?

Air resistance can significantly reduce the range of a projectile by slowing it down as it moves through the air. This is why objects such as bullets and arrows are designed to be aerodynamic to minimize the effects of air resistance and maximize their range.