Good Science Books: Ben Bova, Arthur C. Clarke & More

In summary, the other day at my library, I picked up a book by Ben Bova, which was called Jupiter, and since I finished it that same day, I went back and got his whole collection of books, or at least what the library had.
MadScientist 1000
The other day at my library, I picked up a book by Ben Bova, which was called Jupiter, and since I finished it that same day, I went back and got his whole collection of books, or at least what the library had.

I'm hoping to create this section for a place to list good authors of good sf books.Here is my list so far:

Ben Bova
Arthur C. Clarke

I also found this good science text-book at my local Half Price Book Store:

Fundamentals of Physics: Fifth Edition

by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker

Publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Inc

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MadScientist 1000 said:
The other day at my library, I picked up a book by Ben Bova, which was called Jupiter, and since I finished it that same day, I went back and got his whole collection of books, or at least what the library had.

I'm hoping to create this section for a place to list good authors of good sf books.

Here is my list so far:

Ben Bova
Arthur C. Clarke

Do not confuse science books with science-fiction books. They are not the same. I do not care that much for science-fiction, as most of the things they say and/or do is completely irrelevant to science as well as often mentioning sciencetific terms in an incorrect way.

Mattara said:
Do not confuse science books with science-fiction books. They are not the same. I do not care that much for science-fiction, as most of the things they say and/or do is completely irrelevant to science as well as often mentioning sciencetific terms in an incorrect way.

Are you sure about that?

Most science-fiction writers are also members of the science community as well. For example, Isaac Asimov. I wouldn't say what he wrote was completely irrelevant or anything of the sort. I know this even after never reading one of his books. I've read so many of his essay's and he talks about them often enough because it introduces the reader to fun topics.

Yeah, anyways, don't think so harshly. You must have read the worst of the lot or something. Some writers can make us look like fools when it comes to knowing about science.

I used to think the same way, but not anymore. I still don't read them, but I don't consider them useless at all.

JasonRox said:
Are you sure about that?

Most science-fiction writers are also members of the science community as well. For example, Isaac Asimov. I wouldn't say what he wrote was completely irrelevant or anything of the sort. I know this even after never reading one of his books. I've read so many of his essay's and he talks about them often enough because it introduces the reader to fun topics.

Yeah, anyways, don't think so harshly. You must have read the worst of the lot or something. Some writers can make us look like fools when it comes to knowing about science.

I used to think the same way, but not anymore. I still don't read them, but I don't consider them useless at all.

I need only to say one name to turn all of your arguments into dust: Douglas Adams. He is one of the most famous sci-fi writer in the world. Or why not any of the star trek books? I stand by my initial arguments. Do not hold sci-fi that high.

I was momentarily taken aback when I saw SF under the title of Good Science Books.

I agree with Mattara - the Science and Science Fiction are two separate things - and shouldn't be confused. Likewise History and Historical Fiction shouldn't be confused.

For many years I was loathed to read fiction, until I took a class in Science Fiction as an elective in my senior year of high school. I like some science fiction because one can ask 'what if' - and address issues of how science and technology affects humans in terms of individual and collective thinking and behavior.

Science fiction writers, e.g. Asimov, do employ elements of science in order to make a story more plausible. But having been working in the nuclear industry for 20+ years, with some exposure to aerospace, I have to laugh at Asimov's use of nuclear energy. Back in 50's nuclear held so much promise, and people speculated way beyond reality as to the possibilities of harnessing that form of energy.

I prefer to invest most of my time in the real hardcore facts of science rather than fiction. On the other hand, I do enjoy a good story now and then.

As for real science books, we have a forum at PF devoted to Math and Science Books:

> Science Education > Academic & Career Guidance > Science Book Reviews
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

I guess that I stand corrected then...

I'll just use this forum to ask about good science textbooks otherwise.

What is the importance of reading good science books?

Reading good science books can expand your knowledge and understanding of scientific concepts, theories, and discoveries. It can also inspire critical thinking and curiosity, as well as provide insights into real-world applications of science.

Who are some notable authors of good science books?

Ben Bova and Arthur C. Clarke are two highly acclaimed authors in the science fiction genre, known for their thought-provoking and scientifically accurate works. Other notable authors include Isaac Asimov, Stephen Hawking, and Neil deGrasse Tyson.

What makes a good science book?

A good science book should be well-researched and based on factual information, but also be engaging and accessible to a wide audience. It should also present complex scientific concepts in a clear and understandable manner, while still challenging the reader's understanding.

How can reading good science books benefit society?

Reading good science books can help to promote scientific literacy and critical thinking skills, which are essential in making informed decisions about important societal issues, such as climate change and healthcare. It can also inspire future generations to pursue careers in STEM fields.

Are there any recommended good science books for beginners?

Yes, there are many good science books that are suitable for beginners, such as "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan. These books provide a great introduction to complex scientific concepts in an engaging and accessible way.