Razr Battery Bug: Solving Low Battery Life

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery Bug
In summary, it seems like some phones are only using one cell of a 3 cell battery. There is a bug that prevents the phone from switching between cells.
russ_watters
Mentor
Razr Battery Bug?

My electrical engineering is a little thin, so bear with me...

A bunch of my friends and coworkers have Motorolla Razr phones that have absolutely atrocious battery life - single-digit hours. Part of the problem may be how often it powers-up to search for a tower in low coverage areas, but today I ran a voltmeter across several of the batteries and found something interesting:

The battery is a 3.6v, 700mAh LiIion with four terminals on it. Checking a near-dead battery (according to the phone) with a voltmeter showed that there are 3 negative terminals and 1 positive one. The voltages were something like 3.8, 3.8, and 1.1V. On one that has the same battery life issue but just came off a charger, they were all like 3.9V.

So it seems to me that the phones are only using one cell of a 3 cell battery! Since I think it is unlikely that the phone is physically wired wrong, I'm thinking maybe it is supposed to switch between cells, but there is a software bug that prevents it from doing that. Looking online, it looks like they don't publish release notes, so I can't find that out, but they do have updates and I'll try that...

...Failing that, I was thinking of using a thin piece of wire to bridge 3 of the leads on the phone to combine the cells of the battery in parallel. Whatdaya think?

One concern I have is doing that when the one cell is low - could that damage the battery if the voltages aren't matched?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is possible that the cells were poorly chosen and the trigger to switch cells (if that is in fact the case) is unable to operate due to unsuitable terms, i.e. too low of a voltage drop being produced in a time too fast to switch cells. Although that sounds incredible stupid coming from a major manufacturer. I don't use batteries that much so my knowledge of what could be wrong is limited.

Possible reason for defective Lithium batteries at wiki, don't know if it applies to the cell phone batteries tho,

"Internal contaminants inside the cells can defeat these safety devices. The mid-2006 recall of 10 million Sony batteries used in Dell, Apple, Lenovo/IBM, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, Fujitsu and Sharp laptops was a consequence of internal contamination with metal particles. Under some circumstances, these can pierce the separator, rapidly converting all of the energy in the cell to heat"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

Even though, you are reading 3.8 volts on the other 2 cells, it doesn't mean they are fully charged. Try connecting a resistor to the other cells and see if you get a significant voltgate drop. If so they are dead as well.

There is a very efficient switching voltage regulator built inside every cell phone, that strives to save every single amp.

A third possibily is that one cell is used for the cpu, the others are used for the transmitter/receiver and standby. It's hard to say without schematics.

1. What is the Razr Battery Bug and how does it affect battery life?

The Razr Battery Bug refers to a software issue in certain Motorola Razr models that causes the battery to drain quickly, even when the phone is not in use. This can significantly decrease the overall battery life of the device.

2. How do I know if my Razr has the Battery Bug?

If you have a Motorola Razr model released between 2011 and 2012, there is a high chance that your phone is affected by the Battery Bug. You can also check for the Battery Bug by going to Settings > Battery and checking if the Android OS is using a significantly high percentage of your battery.

3. Is there a solution for the Razr Battery Bug?

Yes, there are a few solutions that can help solve the Battery Bug. One option is to update your device to the latest version of Android, as this may include a fix for the Battery Bug. Another solution is to perform a factory reset, which can help eliminate any software glitches causing the issue. Lastly, replacing the battery with a new one can also help improve battery life.

4. Is there a permanent fix for the Razr Battery Bug?

Unfortunately, there is no permanent fix for the Battery Bug. While the above solutions can help improve battery life, the issue may still occur intermittently. It is recommended to regularly check for software updates and perform maintenance on your device to help prevent the Battery Bug from occurring.

5. Can I prevent the Razr Battery Bug from happening?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent the Battery Bug, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of it happening. These include regularly updating your device's software, avoiding overcharging your battery, and minimizing the use of battery-draining apps and features.