Discover the Best Books on Celestial Mechanics - Recommendations Inside!

• Thread starter Matt Jacques
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses book recommendations for celestial mechanics and astrodynamics. The recommended book is Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications by Vallado, although other texts such as Bate, Mueller and White's book and Introduction to Space Dynamics by Thomson are also mentioned. There is also a mention of a book called An Introduction to Celestial Mechanics. Some books are available at a low cost from Dover Publications Inc. There is also a discussion about the distinction between celestial mechanics and astrodynamics, with some mentioning that some general physics and astronomy textbooks also cover celestial mechanics.
Matt Jacques
I am having a hard time finding a good book on celestial mechanics, any recommendations?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well,

In this thread I recommended Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications by Vallado.

It does depend on the level of your math abilities and the depth which you want to delve. That book goes has pretty much anything you would want to learn about, but the math can get pretty hairy.

I've heard that Bate, Mueller and White is a decent book. I haven't looked at it myself, though.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/textbooks/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2WWUAGCB2E&isbn=0792369033&TXT=Y&itm=1 is the book I've got.

TL1050 .V35 2001

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit expensive and not at my library :(

Here is one

My copy looks promising. Its called Fundimentals of Astrodynamics by Roger R. Bate Donald D Mueller and Jerryr E White, 1971, 454 pages,14$, and continuously in reprint at Dover Publications Inc. I have their hard copy winter 2004 catalog of Math and Science. You can order online at doverpublications.com. It has a altitude vs lethal radiation dose. There is a narrow window of safety at 200 miles altitude when inside metal sheilding.

A related book I like is Introduction to Space Dynamics by WIlliam Tyrrell Thomson, 1986, 315 pages, 15$, and still in reprint at DOver. I explains jet stabilization and near ground gravity turns. Very interesting.

Steve Stillman

Shouldn't there be a distinction made between celestial mechanics and astrodynamics? I thought that astrodynamics was the name given to the more practical engineering aspects of spacecraft dynamics, control and navigation. Whereas celestial mechanics is looking only a planets and their satellites and not really concerned with traveling around and between them.

BMW is decent, and it is also dirt cheap. As is Thomson, although that's more to do with attitude control and associated things, rather than celestial mechanics, I think. Dover also do another book called An Introduction to Celestial Mechanics, although it is a re-print of a text from the very early twentieth century.

A lot of general physics, and especially mechanics, textbooks have sections on celestial mechanics. And so do some astronomy texts.

What genre of books do you recommend?

As a scientist, I don't have a specific genre preference. However, I would suggest exploring different genres to expand your knowledge and imagination.

Can you suggest any good books for beginners?

There are many great books for beginners, but it ultimately depends on your interests. Some popular options include "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, and "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Where can I find reliable book reviews?

There are many online platforms such as Goodreads and Amazon that provide reviews from readers. You can also check out book review blogs from reputable sources and book review sections in newspapers and magazines.

How do I choose a book that will keep me engaged?

To choose a book that will keep you engaged, consider your personal interests and what type of story or subject matter you enjoy. You can also read the book's synopsis and reviews to get an idea of the plot and writing style.

Are there any books that you would recommend for personal growth?

Yes, there are many books that can inspire personal growth. Some popular options include "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey, and "Mindset: The New Psychology of Success" by Carol Dweck.