What Is the Boiling Point of a Urea Solution?

In summary, to calculate the boiling point (in degrees C) of a solution made by dissolving 7.49 g of urea (CO(NH2)2) in 28.0 g of water, the molality (m) needs to be found first, which is calculated to be 4.458m. The i value is unknown, but the normal boiling point is given as 373 K. Using the equation Delta Tf = (i)(m)(Kbp), the boiling point is 102.283 degrees Celsius or 375.28 Kelvin. There may be variations in the calculation as different sources may not include the i value.
sweetshelly

Homework Statement

Calculate the boiling point (in degrees C) of a solution made by dissolving 7.49 g of urea {CO(NH2)2} in 28.0 g of water. The Kbp of the solvent is 0.512 K/m and the normal boiling point is 373 K

Homework Equations

Delta Tf = (i)(m)(Kbp)

The Attempt at a Solution

Kbp= 0.512 k/m

molality (m)= ?
first I have to find molality
(7.49g/60g)/(.028 kg water) = 4.458m

I don't know what the i value is. What do I do with the normal boiling point?

The answer is 102.283 celicus this would be 375.28K.
Then I did some research on the internet I came across this site that didn't use the i value is this possible.
375.28= 373 + delta Tf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I came to this forum to try and help out, but I see only so much stuff I don't know anything about anymore ... Obviously my education outdated LOL
I've reached my bioling point ... I'm going out for a smoke !

delta Tf= 2.28 I would like to first clarify the question being asked. The boiling point of a solution is defined as the temperature at which the vapor pressure of the solution equals the external pressure. In this case, we are given the normal boiling point of water (373 K) and the boiling point elevation constant (Kbp) for water (0.512 K/m). We are also given the mass of solute (7.49 g) and the mass of solvent (28.0 g). The question asks for the boiling point of the solution (in degrees Celsius).

To solve this problem, we can use the equation Delta Tf = (i)(m)(Kbp), where Delta Tf is the boiling point elevation, i is the van't Hoff factor, m is the molality of the solution, and Kbp is the boiling point elevation constant.

First, we need to find the molality (m) of the solution. This can be calculated using the formula m = moles of solute / mass of solvent. In this case, the moles of urea can be calculated by dividing the mass of urea (7.49 g) by its molar mass (60 g/mol). This gives us 0.125 mol of urea. The mass of solvent (water) is given as 28.0 g. Thus, the molality of the solution is (0.125 mol / 0.028 kg) = 4.46 m.

Next, we need to find the van't Hoff factor (i). This factor takes into account the dissociation of solute particles in the solution. For a non-electrolyte like urea, the van't Hoff factor is 1. Therefore, we can substitute i = 1 in the equation.

Finally, we can plug in the values for Delta Tf, i, and m in the equation and solve for the boiling point elevation (Delta Tf). This gives us Delta Tf = (1)(4.46 m)(0.512 K/m) = 2.28 K.

The boiling point of the solution can be calculated by adding the boiling point elevation (2.28 K) to the normal boiling point of water (373 K). This gives us a boiling point of 375.28 K or 102.28 degrees Celsius.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by first understanding the question being

1. What is the definition of boiling point?

The boiling point is the temperature at which a substance changes from a liquid to a gas state. It is the temperature at which the vapor pressure of the liquid equals the atmospheric pressure.

2. How is the boiling point of a substance calculated?

The boiling point of a substance is calculated using its chemical formula and the surrounding atmospheric pressure. It can also be approximated by using the Clapeyron equation, which takes into account the change in enthalpy and entropy of the substance.

3. What factors can affect the boiling point of a substance?

The boiling point of a substance can be affected by the surrounding atmospheric pressure, the strength of intermolecular forces, and the molecular weight of the substance. Other factors such as impurities and altitude can also have an impact on the boiling point.

4. Why does the boiling point of a substance change with altitude?

The boiling point of a substance decreases with increasing altitude due to the decrease in atmospheric pressure. As the atmospheric pressure decreases, the vapor pressure needed for boiling to occur also decreases, resulting in a lower boiling point.

5. Can the boiling point of a substance be changed?

Yes, the boiling point of a substance can be changed by altering the surrounding pressure or by adding impurities. For example, adding salt to water increases the boiling point, while decreasing the pressure in a pressure cooker can lower the boiling point of water.