Designing a Street Legal Car: Building My Dream

In summary, the conversation is about designing and building a street legal car. The person already has a design in mind but needs help with creating a chassis and choosing the right materials. They are advised to look through magazines or books for ideas, particularly ones by Boyd Coddington or on chassis design. They are also suggested to use manufactured parts for the chassis and to consider vehicle dynamics. The idea of using a honeycomb carbon fiber body is also brought up. There are numerous books available on chassis engineering, with the book "Chassis Design" by Herb Adams being recommended as the best one.
Superman89
I'm wanting to design and build my own street legal car. I've pretty much got the design that I want I just need to know how to design and build a simple (if possible) chassis and what kind of medal to use for the outer body.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Leaf through a Rod & Custom or Street Rodder magazine at your local bookstore, lots of ideas. Maybe find Boyd Coddington's book on chassis design. Or watch American Hot Rod on Discovery channel. Obviously you're going to use manufactured parts like steering box/racks, final drive, spindles, and whatever else, those would be the largest influences on design for a homemade chassis. Vehicle dynamics would be nice as well, plenty of in-depth books exist for that field.

Why not a honeycomb carbon fiber body?

Cliff

There are a ton of books that cover chassis engineering. Go to Amazon.com and search "chassis" and/or "chassis engineering".

The best book on the subject is Chassis Design by Herb Adams. It is published by HP Books and has everything you could ask for except specific equations for dimensioning the suspension geometry.
Good luck!

1. How do I ensure my car meets all legal requirements for street use?

To ensure your car is street legal, you must comply with all local and federal regulations. This includes meeting safety standards, emissions requirements, and registering your vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles.

2. Can I use any materials and components to build my car?

No, you must use materials and components that are approved for use in street legal vehicles. This includes following guidelines for structural integrity, crash testing, and emissions control.

3. How do I obtain a license to drive my custom-built car on the road?

Once your car is complete, you must bring it to a designated inspection facility to ensure it meets all safety and emissions standards. Once it passes inspection, you will be issued a license to drive your car on the road.

4. Is there a limit to the level of customization I can have on my street legal car?

Yes, there are limits to the level of customization allowed on street legal cars. For example, some modifications that significantly alter the performance or safety of the vehicle may not be approved for street use.

5. How do I ensure my car is both street legal and meets my design goals?

It is important to do thorough research and consult with experts in the automotive industry to ensure your car meets both legal requirements and your design goals. Additionally, testing and prototyping can help identify any potential issues before finalizing your design.