Calculating Fan Power Using an Ohm Meter: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan Power
In summary, the conversation is about identifying the power of an old standing fan without a label using an ohm meter. The meter can measure resistance, potential, and current of an AC power supply. However, the formulae for calculating power may not apply for a fan with inductance, and a hand held Fluke meter or o-scope would be needed to identify the phase lag angular phi. The fan power is given by P=Tw, which is slightly less than the motor power due to energy conversion.
pixel01
Hi guys

I suddenly think of a question. In my home, there's a standing fan which is old so I cannot see the nominal power on the label. With a ohm meter, can I identify the power of the fan? The meter can measure resistance R, potential U and current I of an AC power supply.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Current and voltage are what you need to measure.

P = I^2 * R

I am afraid those above formulae can only applied for the pure resistance appliances such as heaters or filament bulbs. The fan is not the case, it has inductance.

Last edited:
[tex]P = I \cdot U[/tex] would be ok.

Last edited:
[tex]P=UIcos\ \phi[/tex] even better.

thanks all for posting here. Then my question is how can I identify the phase lag angular phi with only a VAOhm meter?

You would need an o-scope or something like a hand held Fluke meter.

Power=I*U

this will give you the power produced by the motor

but it will not give the real power of the fan...

which is power=Tw

fan power will be a little less than motor power and this due fraction(energy conv.)

1. How do you calculate the power of a fan?

The power of a fan can be calculated by multiplying the air flow rate in cubic feet per minute (CFM) by the fan's total pressure in inches of water (in. H2O) and dividing by 6,356.

2. What is the air flow rate of a fan?

The air flow rate of a fan is the amount of air that the fan can move in a given period of time, typically measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM).

3. How do you measure the total pressure of a fan?

The total pressure of a fan can be measured using a manometer, which measures the difference in pressure between two points.

4. What factors affect the power of a fan?

The power of a fan is affected by the speed of the fan, the size and shape of the blades, and the density and viscosity of the air being moved.

5. Can the power of a fan be increased?

Yes, the power of a fan can be increased by increasing the speed of the fan, increasing the blade size or shape, or increasing the density of the air being moved.