Why Water Is a Good Solvent: Reasons & Explanations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the reasons why water is a good solvent and trying to determine which of the given options is not a reason. The person asking the question believes that A and B are true but is unsure about C. They are seeking clarification and feedback. The correct answer is C.
oceanflavored
This is a question I got confused on while helping my son with his homework. I thought you guys might know:
Which of the following is NOT a reason why water is a good solvent:
A] it is a polar molecule
B] it forms strong bonds with other molecules
C] it has low compressibility at high temperatures

I know it can't be A, because that is one of the main reasons. And I know B is true because hydrogen bonding is a really strong force, but then i remembered that it only with fluorine, oxygen, and nitrogen, so I didn't know if it was with every molecule. And I thought bonding related more to surface tension, and such. I know C is true but I haven't read up on that too much, so I'm not exactly sure.

Would appreciate any feedback GREATLY.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think B is the correct answer. Well, water can form some kinds of bonding with other molecules, especially the hydrogen bond. But those bonds can never be strong bonds and they can easily be dissociated under appropriate conditions.

Question is which is NOT a reason. Correct answer is C.

Borek

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is water considered a good solvent?

Water is considered a good solvent because of its unique molecular structure. It is a polar molecule, meaning it has a slightly positive and slightly negative end. This allows it to easily dissolve other polar molecules, such as salts, sugars, and acids.

2. What makes water a universal solvent?

Water is often referred to as a universal solvent because it has the ability to dissolve a wide variety of substances. This is due to its polarity and the fact that it can form hydrogen bonds with other molecules, breaking apart their ionic or polar bonds and allowing them to dissolve.

3. How does water's polarity contribute to its solvent properties?

Water's polarity allows it to interact with other polar molecules, pulling them apart and dissolving them in the process. This is because the slightly positive end of water is attracted to the slightly negative end of other polar molecules, breaking them apart and surrounding them with water molecules.

4. Why do non-polar molecules not dissolve well in water?

Non-polar molecules do not dissolve well in water because they do not have the same polarity as water. This means that they cannot form hydrogen bonds with water molecules, making it difficult for them to be pulled apart and surrounded by water molecules. They are often repelled by water and tend to clump together instead.

5. What other factors contribute to water's ability to dissolve substances?

In addition to its polarity, water's high boiling point, high heat capacity, and ability to form hydrogen bonds with other molecules all contribute to its excellent solvent properties. These factors allow it to efficiently dissolve and transport substances in both living organisms and the environment.