Designing an Equitable Points System for Ranking Sports Teams in Tournaments

In summary, the speaker is looking for a points system for their team sports organization that takes into account the number of teams in a tournament and the placement of the team. They are looking for a simple formula that can be applied repeatedly and can be easily tracked in Excel and mySQL. They suggest awarding points for game wins and adjusting the point awards for tournament placements.
Pfeff
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but I'll give it a shot.

I help administer a team sports organization that has propped up a points system for the purpose of rating the teams for an end of the year tournament. Teams accumulate points by playing in our events and the higher they place the more points they receive. Right now our points system is the following...

1st = 700
2nd = 600
3rd = 500
4th = 400
5th/6th = 300
All other teams = 150

In my opinion, this formula is greatly flawed. It doesn't account for how many teams are entered in the tournament. For example, you could win a four team tournament and get 700 points. Another team could win a 64 team tournament at get the same 700 points.

The team winning a 4 team double elimination tournament could play a minimum of 3 games and a maximum of 4 games.

The team winning a 64 team double elimination tournament could play a minimum of 7 games and a maximum of 12 games.

So to me it seems obvious that winning a tournament with a greater amount of teams entered is deserving of more points.

What I am looking for is a formula that rewards teams with points based upon where they placed and how many teams are entered. I'd like to stick with whole numbers and keep it simple.

To begin with I will be tracking the points system in Excel but would like to migrate the whole deal into mySQL so teams/players can get up to date team standings with less resistance.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Again I apologize is this is the wrong forum or community to be asking in. This just seems like one of the more active ones and I figured I would be able to get the best help here.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would just give teams points for winning games... maybe decrease all the point awards for the tournament a bit (the winning point awards get lowered more than the losing ones, because the winners will win more games to make up for it), and award points based on game wins. So perhaps take 50 points off the last place teams' scores, and increase the difference to 125 points for the first place team (scaling the scores of the other teams appropriately), and give 25 points for winning a game.

Or something like that

I'd like somehow to apply a formula to the results of a tournament that I could apply repeatedly, instead of cooking up some points system. I suspect it would have to be based on amount of teams and place/finish. I don't think I can do games come to think of it because some tournament directors run more than double elim tournaments which would give those playing an unfair advantage.

1. What is a sports team ratings formula?

A sports team ratings formula is a mathematical equation that is used to calculate the performance of a sports team. This formula takes into account various factors such as wins, losses, strength of opponents, and other statistical data to determine a team's overall rating.

2. How is a sports team ratings formula created?

A sports team ratings formula is typically created by statisticians and mathematicians who study the patterns and trends in a particular sport. They analyze data from past games and use statistical models to develop a formula that accurately reflects a team's performance.

3. What factors are considered in a sports team ratings formula?

The factors considered in a sports team ratings formula may vary, but typically include wins, losses, strength of schedule, points scored, points allowed, and other statistical data such as turnovers, rebounds, and penalties. Some formulas may also take into account the quality of opponents and the margin of victory.

4. How accurate is a sports team ratings formula?

The accuracy of a sports team ratings formula can vary depending on the specific formula used and the data it takes into account. However, these formulas are generally considered to be reliable indicators of a team's performance and are often used by sports analysts and bettors to make predictions.

5. How are sports team ratings formulas used?

Sports team ratings formulas are used in a variety of ways, including predicting the outcome of games, ranking teams within a league or division, and determining playoff or tournament seedings. They are also used by coaches and analysts to evaluate a team's performance and identify areas for improvement.