Mathematical Logic: For all and There exists

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of "for all" and "there exists" in mathematical logic. The question at hand is how the presence of (\forall x) affects the equation (\forall x)(A \rightarrow (B \equiv C)) \rightarrow ((\forall x)(A \rightarrow B) \equiv (\forall x)(A \rightarrow C)). The discussants are also clarifying the notation used, with one suggesting the use of \Rightarrow for "implies." The overall goal is to use the deduction theorem to move (\forall x)(A \rightarrow (B \equiv C)) to the left side of the |-- and show that the remaining right side can be expressed the same as the left, but there is
Goldenwind
Mathematical Logic: "For all" and "There exists"

I need to show that
[tex]\vdash (\forall x)(A \rightarrow (B \equiv C)) \rightarrow ((\forall x)(A \rightarrow B) \equiv (\forall x)(A \rightarrow C))[/tex]

My question to you, how does the [itex](\forall x)[/itex] affect this equation? If they weren't there, I could simply do this question, but their presence is confusing me. What's different? Can I just ignore them and move on as normal?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are your "[tex] \rightarrow [/tex]" symbols for "implies"? If so, use [tex] \Rightarrow [/tex] next time, so it isn't so confusing.

Now, with the notation you chose, I don't really understand what the entire statement is conjecturing. Please explain (in words) what you are trying to ask. (Besides the question about [tex] \forall x [/tex].)

I wrote the symbols exactly how I was taught, sorry =/
I was taught that [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] is used for "implies", or (¬A v B).

Now for what I'm trying to show... See the 2nd "implies" symbol? I'll be using the deduction theorem to move the (Ax)(A --> (B = C)) over to the left side of the |--, and then will attempt to work with the remaining right side of the |-- to show that it can be expressed the same as the left.

The thing is, my methods work when (Ax) isn't there, however I'm not sure if they work the same when it is. Can I just ignore the presence of (Ax), and do this question as if it weren't there?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between "For all" and "There exists" in mathematical logic?

In mathematical logic, "For all" (symbolized by ∀) is a universal quantifier that expresses a statement that is true for all elements in a given set. On the other hand, "There exists" (symbolized by ∃) is an existential quantifier that expresses a statement that is true for at least one element in a given set.

2. How are "For all" and "There exists" used in mathematical proofs?

"For all" and "There exists" are commonly used in mathematical proofs to express general statements and to introduce new elements respectively. These quantifiers are essential in making precise and logical arguments in mathematical reasoning.

3. What are the logical symbols for "For all" and "There exists" in mathematical logic?

The logical symbol for "For all" is ∀ (pronounced "for all" or "for every") and the symbol for "There exists" is ∃ (pronounced "there exists" or "there is"). These symbols are used to express quantified statements in mathematical logic.

4. Can "For all" and "There exists" be used interchangeably in mathematical logic?

No, "For all" and "There exists" cannot be used interchangeably in mathematical logic. These quantifiers have different meanings and cannot be substituted for one another. Using the wrong quantifier can lead to incorrect statements and conclusions in mathematical proofs.

5. Are there any other quantifiers besides "For all" and "There exists" in mathematical logic?

Yes, there are other quantifiers in mathematical logic such as "There exists exactly one" (∃!), "For all but finitely many" (∀fin), and "There exists infinitely many" (∃inf). These quantifiers have specific meanings and are used in different types of mathematical reasoning.