What is the velocity of a transverse wave on a steel cable under tension?

In summary, the question asks for the speed of a transverse wave along a steel cable under a tension of 1.00 * 10^4 N. To solve this, we need to use the equation velocity = sqroot(T/(m/L)), where m/L represents the linear density of the cable. To find the linear density, we can use the formula density = mass/volume and volume = cross-sectional area * length.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

A steel cable, of cross-sectional area 2.79 * 10^-3 m2, is kept under a tension of 1.00 * 10^4 N. The density of steel is 7860 kg/m3 (this is not the linear density). At what speed does a transverse wave move along the cable?

Homework Equations

velocity = sqroot(T/(m/L)) m/L = linear density

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start this because I do not know what to do with the area given and also how to convert the regular density to linear density. Can anyone start me off? i then would know how to solve the problem, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
density =mass/volume and volume=Cross-sectional area*length

Helps?

thank you!

What is the speed of a wave on a string?

The speed of a wave on a string is determined by the tension and mass per unit length of the string. It can be calculated using the equation v = √(T/μ), where v is the speed, T is the tension, and μ is the mass per unit length.

Does the speed of a wave on a string depend on the amplitude?

No, the speed of a wave on a string is independent of the amplitude. It is solely determined by the properties of the string, such as tension and mass per unit length.

How does the speed of a wave on a string change with wavelength?

The speed of a wave on a string is not affected by the wavelength. It remains constant regardless of the wavelength of the wave.

Can the speed of a wave on a string be faster than the speed of light?

No, the speed of a wave on a string is limited by the properties of the string and cannot exceed the speed of light.

What factors can affect the speed of a wave on a string?

The speed of a wave on a string can be affected by the tension and mass per unit length of the string. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.