Current/voltage leading and lagging

• Thread starter exclusiv
  • Start date
In summary, the current in an inductor lags behind the voltage due to the proportional relationship between energy and current, while the current in a capacitor leads the voltage due to the relationship between energy and voltage. This is represented mathematically by the equations L(di/dt) = v for an inductor and C(dv/dt) = i for a capacitor, and can be explained by the energy uptake and release by the magnetic and electric fields in the devices.
exclusiv
Hi, i was wondering why is it that for an inductor the current lags voltage and for capacitor the current leads voltage? Thank You.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll add the best way to remember what occurs in each device is our good old pal: ELI the ICE man.

An inductor's energy is proportional to the square of its current. No work needs to be done to change its voltage. But, work must be done to change an inductor's current. In an inductor, voltage can change abruptly, but current can only change gradually. In a physical inductor, some capacitance is present across the turns in the winding, so that a little work is needed to change the voltage.

The capacitor is the counterpart of the inductor. Its stored energy is proportional to the square of the voltage. In a cap, current may change abruptly, whereas voltage must change gradually. Work needs to be done to change its voltage, but not its current. In a real cap, there is always some inductance, so that some work is done changing the current.

Off the top of my head, that is a brief overview. More detail can be added, but that is the basic reason.

Mathematically, you can see lag and lead (phase difference) from:

[tex]
L\frac{di}{dt}= v
[/tex][tex]
C\frac{dv}{dt}= i
[/tex]

so that if the current i(t) through an inductor with inductance L is sin(t), then the voltage v(t) across the inductor is cos(t).

Asfor a physical why, look to the energy uptake and release by the magnetic field of the conductor and similarly with the electric field in the capacitor.

Last edited:

What is current/voltage leading and lagging?

Current/voltage leading and lagging refers to the relationship between the current and voltage in an electrical circuit. When the current and voltage are in phase, meaning they peak and decrease at the same time, it is known as a leading relationship. When the current and voltage are out of phase, meaning they peak and decrease at different times, it is known as a lagging relationship.

What causes current/voltage to lead or lag?

The main factor that causes current and voltage to lead or lag is the presence of reactive components, such as inductors and capacitors, in the circuit. These components store and release energy at different times, causing the current and voltage to be out of phase with each other.

What are the effects of leading and lagging current/voltage?

When current and voltage are in phase, the circuit operates more efficiently as there is less power loss. However, when they are out of phase, there is a decrease in efficiency as some of the power being supplied is lost due to the reactive components. This can also cause issues with the operation of the circuit, such as decreased voltage and increased heat generation.

How can current/voltage leading and lagging be corrected?

To correct current/voltage leading and lagging, power factor correction techniques can be used. This involves adding additional components, such as capacitors or inductors, to the circuit to counteract the effects of the reactive components and bring the current and voltage back into phase.

Why is it important to understand current/voltage leading and lagging?

Understanding current/voltage leading and lagging is important for ensuring the efficient and safe operation of electrical circuits. It can also help in troubleshooting issues with circuits and identifying potential problems. Additionally, it is important for those working with electricity to have a thorough understanding of these concepts in order to prevent accidents and injuries.