Roots of a polynomial (simple)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the roots of a given cubic polynomial and the general solution of the Cauchy-Euler equation. The polynomial x^3-7x^2+6x-8 = 0 is the main focus, with the participants discussing the use of different methods such as the p/q method and synthetic division. They also mention the possibility of using a formula to find the roots of a cubic polynomial. The final part of the conversation involves finding the three roots of the polynomial, with one real root and two imaginary roots. The participants also mention the potential for a nicer way of writing the roots.
camilus
[tex]x^3-7x^2-10x-8 = 0[/tex]

what are the roots?? Sorry, I am horrible at doing these kinds of things, this is for another problem in my differential equations thread.

Find the general solution of the Cauchy-Euler equation Assume x>0.

[tex]x^3{d^3y \over dx^3} - 4x^2{d^2y \over dx^2} + 8x{dy \over dx} - 8y = 4ln(x)[/tex]

Its been so long since I did simple roots of a polynomial, I forgot how to do it LOL! and please, this homework is due tomorrow morning, so if you can help please spare the lesson until tomorrow afternoon. I need this done by tonight, preferably right now. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use p/q method to factor.

elaborate please! I haven't done simple algebra like this in like 2-3 years!

I was thinking synthetic division. Would that work?

Jesus Christ! I had the wrong polynomial!

this is the right one.

[tex]x^3-7x^2+6x-8 = 0[/tex]

You'd probably need to look for that formula to find the roots of a cubic polynomial since I believe that doesn't have rational roots.

yeah, 2 roots are imaginary, and 1 root is real.

The three roots are according to my calculator, 6.244297529863042, 0.37785123506847906 + i* 1.06695706407035, and 0.37785123506847906 - i* 1.06695706407035.

But there's got to be a nicer way of writing that...

Check here and see if you can write it in a better way.

1. What are the roots of a polynomial?

The roots of a polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero.

2. How do you find the roots of a polynomial?

To find the roots of a polynomial, you can use various methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the rational root theorem.

3. What is the difference between real and complex roots of a polynomial?

Real roots are values of the variable that are whole numbers or fractions, while complex roots are values that involve imaginary numbers. A polynomial can have both real and complex roots.

4. How do the number of roots affect the graph of a polynomial?

The number of roots of a polynomial determines the number of times the graph of the polynomial intersects the x-axis. For example, a polynomial with three roots will have three points where the graph crosses the x-axis.

5. Can a polynomial have more than two roots?

Yes, a polynomial can have any number of roots, including zero, one, two, or more. The degree of the polynomial (highest power of the variable) determines the maximum number of roots it can have.