Normal Vectors to a Surface

In summary: You can simply scale the vector [2, 3, -1] to have a length of 1, which will result in a unit vector with positive z-component. This can be done by dividing each component by the vector's length, which can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. In summary, the solution is to scale the normal vector [2, 3, -1] to a length of 1, resulting in a unit vector with a positive z-component.
seanuleh

Homework Statement

Find the unit vector with positive z component which is normal to the surface z=xy+xy^2 at the point (1,1,2) on the surface.

Homework Equations

Well no real relevant equations i guess... but the thing is i know how to get the normal vector, i know how to convert it to a unit vector i just have no idea how to make the z-component positive. A friend suggested that i just change the z-component to 1 in the solution however i am convinced that this is an entirely different vector and is more than likely NOT the solution. Please help :(

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx = y + y^2
Fx(1,1,2) = 2
Fy = x + 2xy
Fy(1,1,2) = 3

so the normal vector would be [2, 3, -1].
Please help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the gradient vector? Another way to do it, without using that is to first parametrise the surface and use some vector manipulation to get the normal vector from there. Anyway your answer appears to be correct.

while my answer is a valid normal vector, it does not have a positive z-component so it is not actually correct, my question is how do i go about making it have a positive z-component.

Multiplying the vector by -1, to get [-2, -3, 1], gives a vector that points in exactly the opposite direction and so is still perpendicular to the surface but has z-component positive.

What makes you think the z component has to be positive? Think about it this way. Consider the surface z=0 (i.e., the x-y plane). The vector [noparse][0,0,1][/noparse] is normal to the surface, but so is the vector [noparse][0,0,-1][/noparse], and so is any vector of the form [noparse][0,0,a][/noparse] where a is any real number.

There is a big hint in the above. Another hint: Any vector parallel to a normal vector is also a normal vector. How can you make a vector that is parallel to the one you constructed that does have the desired characteristics of being a unit vector and having a positive z component?

D H said:
What makes you think the z component has to be positive? Think about it this way. Consider the surface z=0 (i.e., the x-y plane). The vector [noparse][0,0,1][/noparse] is normal to the surface, but so is the vector [noparse][0,0,-1][/noparse], and so is any vector of the form [noparse][0,0,a][/noparse] where a is any real number.
The problem asked for a unit vector, normal to the surface, with positive z component!

There is a big hint in the above. Another hint: Any vector parallel to a normal vector is also a normal vector. How can you make a vector that is parallel to the one you constructed that does have the desired characteristics of being a unit vector and having a positive z component?
Now that's a good hint!

What are normal vectors to a surface?

Normal vectors to a surface are vectors that are perpendicular, or at a 90 degree angle, to the surface at a specific point. They are used to determine the orientation and direction of a surface or object.

Why are normal vectors important in science?

Normal vectors are important in science because they allow us to analyze the behavior and properties of surfaces and objects. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to calculate forces, determine the angle of reflection, and create 3D models.

How are normal vectors calculated?

Normal vectors can be calculated using various methods, depending on the type of surface. For example, for a flat surface, the normal vector can be calculated by finding the cross product of two non-parallel vectors on the surface. For a curved surface, it can be calculated using partial derivatives.

What is the relationship between normal vectors and surface curvature?

The normal vector at a point on a surface is always perpendicular to the tangent plane at that point. This means that the normal vector can be used to determine the curvature of the surface at that point. A larger normal vector indicates a sharper curvature, while a smaller normal vector indicates a flatter curvature.

Can normal vectors exist in multiple dimensions?

Yes, normal vectors can exist in multiple dimensions. In fact, they are commonly used in three-dimensional space, but can also be used in higher dimensions. In these cases, normal vectors are still perpendicular to the surface at a specific point, but may have more than three components.