Quick question on iodination of acetone.

• Thread starter Alex48674
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acetone
In summary, the lab in class focused on kinetics and determining the rate constant, rates, and orders of a reaction involving acetone, iodine, and HCl. The question of why the concentration of I2 is much less than the other reactants was discussed, with the explanation that using low concentrations of acetone and HCl slows down the reaction, while increasing the concentration of iodine does not have a significant effect on the rate. This could be due to economic reasons or safety concerns. Additionally, monitoring the loss of yellow color in solution, which is caused by iodine, was used to track the rate of reaction. Using concentrated solutions of iodine may not give accurate results due to Beer's law. Overall, increasing the concentration
Alex48674
In class today we did a lab with acetone (4M), iodine (.0050M), and HCl (1.0M). The lab was one kinetics and on determining the rate constant, rates, and orders. Which I've done fine, but I'm stuck on this question: Why is the concentration of I2 so much less then the other reactants?

Any help would be appreciated, and it's due tomorow =]

Btw

Rate=2.1 (Ms)^(-1) x 10^(-5) x (Acet) x (H+)

Second order reaction.

First order with respect to Acet and H+, zero order with respect to I2

Just to prove I've done the work =]

Physics news on Phys.org
the rate of reaction is already slow because of the acetone and H+ reacting. if you use low concentrations of them, the reaction would be even slower.

and since iodine is zero order, using a very low concentration does not affect the rate. probably you have been given low concentration because of economic reasons or maybe to reduce health hazards when pipetting iodine, because it is toxic.

Ahhh thanks, that makes sense.

You followed the rate of reaction by monitoring the loss of yellow (iodine) color in solution. Concentrated solutions of iodine would not likely give you linearity with respect to concentration (Beer's law).

i guess this makes more sense!

Iodine is the main determinant in the reaction. So, the reaction will continue until it's gone. Therefore, increasing the concentration of Iodine would cause the reaction to go on much longer and usually a reaction that only takes a few minutes gives you much easier and more accurate numbers to deal with.

1. What is the purpose of iodinating acetone?

Iodination of acetone is a chemical reaction used to introduce an iodine atom onto the acetone molecule. This can be useful in organic synthesis to create new compounds or as a way to identify and characterize unknown substances.

2. How is acetone iodinated?

The most common method of iodinating acetone is through the use of iodine and a strong oxidizing agent, such as hydrogen peroxide or sodium hypochlorite. This reaction can be carried out in a variety of solvents, including water or organic solvents.

3. What are the potential hazards of working with iodine?

Iodine is a corrosive and potentially toxic chemical, so it is important to handle it with caution. It can cause skin and eye irritation, and prolonged exposure can lead to thyroid problems. It is important to wear proper protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, and work in a well-ventilated area when handling iodine.

4. Can iodination of acetone be used to make specific compounds?

Yes, the specific product of the iodination reaction will depend on the reaction conditions and starting materials used. By varying the solvent and oxidizing agent, different products can be obtained. This reaction is often used in organic synthesis to create compounds with specific functional groups.

5. Are there any alternative methods for iodinating acetone?

Yes, there are alternative methods for iodinating acetone, such as using iodine monochloride or iodine pentoxide as the oxidizing agent. However, these methods may be more expensive or have different reaction conditions compared to the traditional method using iodine and an oxidizing agent. Ultimately, the best method will depend on the specific goals of the experiment.