Moment of inertia for rectangular prism

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the moment of inertia of a beam rotating around the center of a face, specifically using a rectangular block image and rotated about the point Zc. The topic of different types of moments of inertia is also mentioned.
kingbabi
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
kingbabi said:
I want to find the moment of inertia (a formula) for a beam rotating around the center of a face. In other words, if I'm using http://www.engrasp.com/doc/etb/mod/util1/solidprop/sp005_rectprism/rectangularblock.gif", then I want to find its moment of inertia if its rotated about the POINT Zc, as if a rod were taped onto the center of that face. Thanks!

Hi kingbabi! :smile:

Do you mean about the "vertical" axis through that point and the centre of the prism?

If so, it'll be the same as for a rectangular plate. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had too many problems here at work with moments of inertia (Thanks again Fred). Which moment of inertia are you looking for?

Mass moment, second area moment, polar?

What is moment of inertia for rectangular prism?

Moment of inertia for a rectangular prism is a measure of the object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It takes into account the object's mass distribution and shape.

What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia for rectangular prism?

The formula for moment of inertia for a rectangular prism is I = (1/12) * m * (a^2 + b^2), where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and a and b are the dimensions of the rectangular prism.

How does the shape of a rectangular prism affect its moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia for a rectangular prism depends on the distribution of mass around its rotational axis. A longer or wider rectangular prism will have a larger moment of inertia compared to a shorter or narrower one with the same mass.

What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia for rectangular prism?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia is kg*m^2. This unit is derived from the formula for moment of inertia and represents the object's mass and the distance of its mass from the rotational axis.

Why is moment of inertia important in physics and engineering?

Moment of inertia is important in physics and engineering because it is a crucial parameter in understanding and predicting the rotational motion of objects. It is used in designing structures and machines to ensure their stability and proper functioning. It also helps in analyzing and optimizing the performance of rotating systems.