Objects of equal mass, but different terminal velocities?

• Thread starter TelusPig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary: They want to slow their descent. So the faster they are going the more drag they create. The faster they slow down the less drag they create. The faster they stop the less drag they create. It's the same with terminal velocity. The faster an object is going the more drag it will create. The slower it goes the less drag it will create.
TelusPig
Why do different objects having the same mass but different projected surface areas have different terminal velocities? On wikipedia, the formula for terminal velocity is Vt = sqrt (2mg/pAC) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_ve ...

I understand from this formula that the terminal velocities would be different since objects with a higher surface area would have lower terminal velocities.

What I don't understand is that if both objects have the same mass, they have they same gravitational force Fg. Terminal velocity means that the net force of the drag force (Fd) and Fg is 0. So in order to reach the terminal velocity, wouldn't the drag have to be the same for each object for Fg to equal -Fd, thus making the terminal velocities the same in each case :confused:?

So... I don't know it seems contradictory depending on how I look at this problem? (I'm not good with physics :frown:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TelusPig said:
Why do different objects having the same mass but different projected surface areas have different terminal velocities? On wikipedia, the formula for terminal velocity is Vt = sqrt (2mg/pAC) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_ve ...

I understand from this formula that the terminal velocities would be different since objects with a higher surface area would have lower terminal velocities.

What I don't understand is that if both objects have the same mass, they have they same gravitational force Fg. Terminal velocity means that the net force of the drag force (Fd) and Fg is 0. So in order to reach the terminal velocity, wouldn't the drag have to be the same for each object for Fg to equal -Fd, thus making the terminal velocities the same in each case :confused:?

So... I don't know it seems contradictory depending on how I look at this problem? (I'm not good with physics :frown:)

What is the "A" in your equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry:
m = mass,
g = 9.81m/s²,
p = density,
A = projected surface area,
C = drag coefficient

TelusPig said:
Sorry:
m = mass,
g = 9.81m/s²,
p = density,
A = projected surface area,
C = drag coefficient

Thanks. I know what A means. What I was getting at was what does its effects mean to you in the equation if the m*g is the same?

TelusPig said:
Why do different objects having the same mass but different projected surface areas have different terminal velocities? On wikipedia, the formula for terminal velocity is Vt = sqrt (2mg/pAC)

The answer to your question is in that equation. Think about it.

Well I know that having a bigger area wold mean that the denominator increases, so that the overall result is smaller, as I said in my first post "I understand from this formula that the terminal velocities would be different since objects with a higher surface area would have lower terminal velocities."

Where I seem to find a contradiction (seem because maybe my reasoning is wrong in the following paragraph) is when I reason that the terminal velocity means that there is no net force acting on the object. Both objects have the same gravitational force since they have the same mass. For the net force to be zero, the upwad drag force would have to be equal to mg. Since both mg's are the same, aren't the drag forces the same? Both objects accelerate until the drag force equals the pull of gravity... so wouldn't both objects have the same terminal velocity?

Maybe my reasoning in the 2nd paragraph is not correct, which is what I'm trying to figure out :frown:

Your reasoning is not correct. Yes, the net force is zero at terminal velocity. You are implicitly assuming that the thing contribution to the drag force is velocity. That is obviously incorrect. Think about it this way: Why do skydivers use parachutes?

1. What causes objects of equal mass to have different terminal velocities?

Terminal velocity is determined by the balance between gravitational force and air resistance. Objects with different shapes and surface areas experience different amounts of air resistance, causing them to reach different terminal velocities.

2. How do you calculate the terminal velocity of an object?

The formula for terminal velocity is Vt = √(2mg/ρAC), where Vt is terminal velocity, m is mass, g is gravitational acceleration, ρ is air density, A is the cross-sectional area, and C is the drag coefficient. This formula takes into account the factors that affect terminal velocity, such as mass, air resistance, and surface area.

3. Can two objects of equal mass have the same terminal velocity?

Yes, two objects of equal mass can have the same terminal velocity if they have the same shape, surface area, and density. In this case, they experience the same amount of air resistance and gravitational force, resulting in the same terminal velocity.

4. How does air density affect terminal velocity?

Air density plays a significant role in determining an object's terminal velocity. The denser the air, the more air resistance an object experiences, which can decrease its terminal velocity. This is why objects fall faster in denser mediums, such as water.

5. Can an object's mass affect its terminal velocity?

Yes, an object's mass does affect its terminal velocity, but it is not the only factor. Objects with greater mass experience more gravitational force, which can increase their terminal velocity. However, other factors such as air resistance, shape, and surface area also play a role in determining an object's terminal velocity.