Solve Vector Problems with Co-ordinates - Maths Higher Exam Prep

• Thread starter KaNe
  • Start date
In summary, Q(a,b,c) is the co-ordinate of the POIN Q. Vector(Q(a,b,c)) is the co-ordinate of vector(OQ), with O(0,0,0).
KaNe
I have the biggest exam of my life tomorrow -_-

and i need to know how to do these questions :

The point Q divides the line joining P(-1, -1, 0) to R(5, 2, -3) in the ratio 2:1. Find the co-ordinates of Q

Vectors.

The answer is (3, 1, -2)

Help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
KaNe said:
I have the biggest exam of my life tomorrow -_-

and i need to know how to do these questions :

The point Q divides the line joining P(-1, -1, 0) to R(5, 2, -3) in the ratio 2:1. Find the co-ordinates of Q

Vectors.

The answer is (3, 1, -2)

Help is appreciated.
[tex]\mbox{Let }\vec{Q}\ =\ (a,\ b,\ c)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{Q}\ -\ \vec{P}\ =\ 2(\vec{R}\ -\ \vec{Q})[/tex]
[tex](a,\ b,\ c)\ -\ (-1,\ -1,\ 0)\ =\ 2[(5,\ 2,\ -3)\ -\ (a,\ b,\ c)][/tex]
[tex]a\ +\ 1\ =\ 10\ -\ 2a[/tex]

From here, you should be able to figure out two more equations, and should find them very easy to solve, giving you a, b, and c, the co-ordinates of Q.

Disagree with the symbol of AKG, remember POIN is a non-direction Quantity, so that u can't use the VECTOR symbol . And your answer is right. When u take Q-P u will get the vector(PQ) , and the same with R-Q :)

VLHN said:
Disagree with the symbol of AKG, remember POIN is a non-direction Quantity, so that u can't use the VECTOR symbol . And your answer is right. When u take Q-P u will get the vector(PQ) , and the same with R-Q :)
Every point in [itex]\mathbb R^3[/itex] has a vector representation. The point [itex]Q(a, b, c)[/itex] has a representation [itex]\vec Q = (a, b, c) = a\mathbf i + b\mathbf j + c\mathbf k[/itex]. It made more sense to work with the vectors than to work with the points.

I think
1/If we get Q(a,b,c) >> a,b,c are the co-ordinate of the POIN Q
2/If we get vector(Q(a,b,c)) >> a,b,c are the co-ordinate of vector(OQ), with O(0,0,0)

It made more sense to work with the vectors than to work with the points
I agree with you 100% in this kind, may be i understand Q = POINT, but u want to mean Q = vector in your solving :)

1. What is "Maths Higher Tomorrow"?

"Maths Higher Tomorrow" is a study plan designed to help students prepare for a higher-level math test or exam taking place the following day.

2. How does "Maths Higher Tomorrow" work?

The program involves reviewing key concepts, practicing problems, and identifying areas of weakness to focus on for the test the next day. It also includes tips for managing test anxiety and staying organized.

3. Is "Maths Higher Tomorrow" suitable for all levels of math?

Yes, the program is designed to be adaptable for students at all levels of math, from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus.

4. Can "Maths Higher Tomorrow" guarantee success on the test?

While the program is designed to help students prepare for their test, the level of success ultimately depends on the individual's effort and understanding of the material. However, following the study plan and practicing problems can greatly improve one's chances of success.

5. Is "Maths Higher Tomorrow" a one-time use program?

No, the program can be used multiple times for different tests or exams. It can also be used as a general study guide for math concepts and problem-solving techniques.