Solar laser (for the lack of abetter word)

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using a sun tunnel and fiber optic cabling to disperse sunlight in a way similar to a laser. However, it was concluded that this would not be efficient due to the losses involved and it would not achieve light amplification like a laser does. It was suggested that simply reflecting sunlight to the desired location would be a more effective solution.
techtakular
solar "laser" (for the lack of abetter word)

Im new here so I am sorry if this is in the wrong spot. but i was wondering if it would possible to take a sun tunnel and like a laser have a partial mirror at one end and a mirror at one end reflecting light back and forth then take fiber optic cabling to disperse light through out where ever. i guess it would would but i think what I am trying to ask is would it be efficient?

Science news on Phys.org

No it wouldn't introduce anything except extra losses. It most definitely would not achieve any form of "light amplification" like a laser

Welcome to PF, Techtakular.
The problem with sunlight is that it consists of the entire spectrum. A laser is restricted to a very narrow range of frequencies (you can consider it monochromatic), which is why stimulated emission of similar photons occurs.
Considering the losses that you would suffer with your design idea, you'd be farther ahead to simply reflect the sunlight to where you want it by the shortest possible route.

i kind of figured as much, just goes to show i have way to much time on my hands, lol thanks

1. What is a solar laser?

A solar laser is a type of laser that uses energy from the sun to create a powerful beam of light. It works by focusing and amplifying sunlight using mirrors and lenses, similar to how a traditional laser uses electricity to create a beam of light.

2. How does a solar laser work?

A solar laser works by using mirrors and lenses to focus sunlight, which is then amplified by a medium such as a gas or crystal. This creates a powerful and concentrated beam of light that can be used for a variety of applications, such as cutting and welding materials, or even powering spacecraft.

3. What are the advantages of using a solar laser?

There are several advantages to using a solar laser. First, it is a renewable energy source, as it uses sunlight instead of electricity. This makes it more environmentally friendly and cost-effective in the long run. Additionally, solar lasers can be used in remote or off-grid locations where access to electricity may be limited.

4. Are there any limitations to using a solar laser?

One limitation of using a solar laser is that it is dependent on the availability of sunlight. This means that its effectiveness may vary depending on weather conditions and the location of the laser. Additionally, the size and power of a solar laser may be limited by the amount of sunlight that can be collected and concentrated.

5. What are some real-world applications of solar lasers?

Solar lasers have a wide range of applications, including cutting and welding materials, powering spacecraft, and even powering satellites. They can also be used in scientific research, such as studying the properties of materials under intense heat and light, and in medical procedures for precision cutting and surgery.