Was Obama's Grandmother's Death Tragic?

• News
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, this is tragic because the woman died just a few hours too soon. She was sure that Barack Obama would win the election, even though there was evidence to the contrary.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Usually, when an elderly person dies after living a good, long life, it's sad but not tragic. But this is tragic - she died just a few hours too soon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27522679/

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
Usually, when an elderly person dies after living a good, long life, it's sad but not tragic. But this is tragic - she died just a few hours too soon.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make a difference in how proud she was of him anyway.

lisab said:

Maybe she just wanted to see her grandson as president of US before she dies and Obama wanted to show her the same... too sad :(

I know it's not for sure that Obama would win but she was his grandmother and was sure anyway that he would win regardless of any evidence.

It was a good thing he got to visit her before she left us.

I feel sorry for him to have such sorrow at a time he should be so happy.

His grandmother was able to cast her vote for Barack, and it will count.

I am sure that she died knowing [convinced] that Barack would win.

Ivan Seeking said:
His grandmother was able to cast her vote for Barack, and it will count.

I am sure that she died knowing [convinced] that Barack would win.

Oh. Man. And someone yesterday was bellyaching about another elderly person casting a death bed vote and how that was so open to election fraud. Think someone must have forged her vote for Obama too?

As to her knowing he would win ... let's see the 270 first.

I feel like Cuba Gooding in Jerry McGuire wanting to say: Show me the Votes. SHOW ME THE VOTES.

1. What caused Obama's grandmother's death?

Obama's grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, passed away due to complications from cancer on November 2, 2008.

2. Was Obama close to his grandmother?

Yes, Obama was very close to his grandmother and referred to her as his "rock" and "a guiding force in his life."

3. How did Obama react to his grandmother's death?

Obama was deeply saddened by the news of his grandmother's passing and took a brief break from his presidential campaign to visit her in Hawaii before her death.

4. Did Obama's grandmother have any influence on his political career?

Yes, Obama's grandmother was a strong influence on his political views and values, instilling in him a sense of empathy and compassion for others.

5. Has Obama's grandmother's death affected his presidency?

While Obama has mentioned his grandmother in various speeches and interviews, her death has not had a significant impact on his presidency. However, he has continued to honor her memory and the lessons she taught him throughout his career.