How can I solve these equations iteratively?

• Thread starter argent83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a set of equations iteratively to find the values of UJ, BJ, and VJ. The equations given are UJ=UH+0.179(BJ-VJ), BJ=BH+0.060(BJ-VJ), and VJ=VH-0.004(BJ-VJ). The person asking for help is struggling with solving these equations and is seeking guidance on the appropriate method to use. They mention that they have looked into linear systems but are still unsure how to proceed. This task is part of a larger astronomy project and the person is seeking help specifically with solving the equations.
argent83

Homework Statement

I'm given the values: UH=2031, BH=36927 and VH=146405 and I'm asked to solve the following equations iteratively to find UJ BJ and VJ.

Homework Equations

UJ=UH+0.179(BJ-VJ)
BJ=BH+0.060(BJ-VJ)
VJ=VH-0.004(BJ-VJ)

I don't know how to solve equations iteratively please help!

I'm in desperate need of help. Any would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
think about linear system.. look at your equatons ;)

more help would be appreciated I have no experience with the linear system :/ thanks :)

tried lookin the linear system up but there's so many methods I don't know which to use :/

I should note that this is part of a larger astronomy project but I posted it in a maths forum as I only need to know how to solve the equations. I've stared at the equations for hours and looked up linear systems but I don't think I'm any closer :/

Last edited:

1. What is iterative solving of formulas?

Iterative solving of formulas is a method used in mathematics and science to find the value of a variable in a formula by repeatedly using the formula with different values until a desired level of accuracy is achieved. It is often used when a formula cannot be solved algebraically or when the solution is too complex to be found in a single step.

2. How is iterative solving different from traditional methods?

Traditional methods of solving formulas involve solving equations algebraically or using specific formulas to find the solution. Iterative solving, on the other hand, involves using a trial-and-error approach to find the solution by repeatedly plugging in different values and refining them until the desired level of accuracy is reached.

3. When is iterative solving used?

Iterative solving is used in various fields of science and engineering, including in areas such as optimization, numerical analysis, and computer programming. It is particularly useful when dealing with complex formulas or systems of equations where traditional methods may not be feasible.

4. What are the advantages of using iterative solving?

One advantage of iterative solving is that it can provide a solution to complex problems that may not have an algebraic solution. It also allows for a more precise solution to be obtained by increasing the number of iterations. Additionally, iterative solving can be easily programmed and automated, making it a useful tool in computer simulations and modeling.

5. Are there any limitations to iterative solving?

While iterative solving can be a powerful tool, it also has its limitations. It can be time-consuming and may require a large number of iterations to achieve a desired level of accuracy. Additionally, it may not always converge to a solution, especially if the starting values are not chosen carefully. Therefore, it is important to understand the limitations of iterative solving and use it appropriately in the context of the problem at hand.