A Linear Partial Differential Eq.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a vector field in cylindrical coordinates that satisfies certain equations involving the gradient and divergence of the field. The equations reduce to linear partial differential equations and the poster has made some progress in solving them. Possible approaches include using separation of variables and Green's functions.
JustinLevy

Homework Statement

Find a vector field [itex]\vec{E}(s,phi,z)[/itex] (cylindrical coordinates) which satisfies:
[tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = q \delta^3(\vec{r}) + (\hat{z} \cdot \vec{E}) \frac{a}{1+az}[/tex]
where q,a are constants, and [itex]\delta^3(\vec{r})[/itex] is the dirac delta function.

Homework Equations

I didn't think it was really worth copying these here, but for completeness sake I might as well.

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/phys436/fall08/Del%20in%20cylindrical%20and%20spherical%20coordinates%20-%20Wikipedia,%20the...pdf

In Cylindrical Coordinates
Where E is a vector field, and V is a scalar function.
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{1}{s} \frac{\partial}{\partial s}(s E_s) + \frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}E_\phi + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} E_z[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = \hat{s}(\frac{1}{s} \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}E_z - \frac{\partial}{\partial z}E_\phi) +\hat{\phi}(\frac{\partial}{\partial z}E_s - \frac{\partial}{\partial s}E_z) + \hat{z} (\frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}(s E_\phi) - \frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} E_s)[/tex]
[tex]\nabla V = \hat{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}V+\hat{\phi}\frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}V + \hat{z}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}V[/tex]
[tex]\nabla^2 V = \frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}(s\frac{\partial}{\partial s}V) + \frac{1}{s^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \phi^2}V + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2}V[/tex]

Also, the fact that:
[tex]\nabla \times (\nabla V)) = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I only need to find a solution, and not neccessarily the most general solution. Thus due to cylindrical symmetry of the problem, I can have the vector field not depend on phi. And since the curl is zero (and again using cylindrical symmetry) there should be a solution with E_phi=0.

The equations therefore reduce to:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z} E_s = \frac{\partial}{\partial s} E_z[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}(s E_s) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}E_z = q \delta^3(\vec{r}) + E_z \frac{a}{1+az}[/tex]

Alternatively, since the curl is zero, there exists a scalar function V such that [itex]\vec{E}=-\nabla V[/itex]. Then we just have:
[tex]\nabla^2 V = - q \delta^3(\vec{r}) + (\frac{\partial}{\partial z} V) \frac{a}{1+az}[/tex]

Maybe it is easier to solve this equation.
These are all just linear partial differential equations, but I'm not sure where to go next.

In the limit [itex]a \rightarrow 0[/itex], the equation is simple (just the field of a point charge in electromagnetism) so I know that the solution in that limit must become:
[tex]V = \frac{q}{4\pi \sqrt{z^2 + s^2}}[/tex]
or
[tex]E_s = \frac{q s}{4\pi (z^2 + s^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
[tex]E_\phi= 0[/tex]
[tex]E_z = \frac{q z}{4\pi (z^2 + s^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Maybe none of what I did was useful. I'm not sure where to go next.
I have access to Mathematica. If someone knows how to make mathematica solve this so I can play with it to help me see what the answer should look like, that would be very useful too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made some good progress in solving this problem. As you mentioned, the equations reduce to:

\frac{\partial}{\partial z} E_s = \frac{\partial}{\partial s} E_z
\frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}(s E_s) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}E_z = q \delta^3(\vec{r}) + E_z \frac{a}{1+az}

One possible approach to solving this would be to use separation of variables. You could start by assuming that E_s can be written as a product of two functions, one depending only on s and the other only on z. Similarly, you could assume that E_z can be written as a product of two functions, one depending only on s and the other only on z. Then substitute these into the equations and see if you can find a solution for each of the functions.

Another approach could be to use Green's functions. In this case, you would first solve the equation for \nabla^2 V = - q \delta^3(\vec{r}) and then use that solution to find a solution for \nabla^2 V = (\frac{\partial}{\partial z} V) \frac{a}{1+az}.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is a linear partial differential equation?

A linear partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a dependent variable and its partial derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables. It is called linear because the dependent variable and its derivatives appear only to the first power and there are no cross terms or products of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

2. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear partial differential equation?

The main difference between a linear and a non-linear partial differential equation is that in a linear equation, the dependent variable and its derivatives appear only to the first power and there are no cross terms or products of the dependent variable and its derivatives. In a non-linear equation, the dependent variable and its derivatives can appear to higher powers or be multiplied together, creating a more complex relationship between the variables.

3. What are some real-life applications of linear partial differential equations?

Linear partial differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, population dynamics, and financial modeling.

4. How are linear partial differential equations solved?

Solving a linear partial differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation, as well as any given boundary or initial conditions. This can be done analytically, using various techniques such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics, or numerically using computational methods.

5. What are the challenges in solving linear partial differential equations?

One of the main challenges in solving linear partial differential equations is finding an appropriate method for solving the specific equation at hand. This may involve understanding the physical or mathematical context of the problem and choosing an appropriate technique. Another challenge is dealing with complex boundary or initial conditions, which may require additional mathematical tools or software. Additionally, numerical solutions can be time-consuming and require a high level of accuracy to obtain meaningful results.