Should I Pursue Engineering or Applied Math for Graduate School?

In summary, your fear about limited job opportunities with an applied math degree is understandable, but it is not necessarily true. Many companies value these skills and actively seek out individuals with this background. As for your concerns about prerequisites for engineering graduate programs, it is best to contact the specific schools you are interested in for more information.
Badjuju270
Hello all. I have a BA in mathematics and plan on going to graduate school to study applied math or engineering. I'm worried that not too many companies will want someone with an applied math degree who studied optimization and modeling. Is it a rational fear that there would not be too many positions that desire this skill set since a computer could be programmed to model and optimize.

As far as engineering is concerned, I am afraid I will have to spend at least 1.5 years taking prerequisites courses before I am allowed to start graduate courses. I really want to go out of state for graduate school and would have to attend a JC to take these prereq. courses; it would make no sense to pay out-of-state fees at a JC when I could stay in CA. and do it. Engineering would force me to stay in CA. Advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your fear is a rational one, however it is not necessarily an accurate one. It is true that computers can be programmed to model and optimize, however this does not mean that companies are not looking for people with the skill set you described. In fact, many industries actively seek out individuals with a background in applied math for a variety of roles such as research and development, analytics, and data science. As far as engineering is concerned, it is true that you may have to take a few prerequisite courses before enrolling in a graduate program. Depending on the school you plan to attend, they may be able to waive certain prerequisites if you can demonstrate a high level of proficiency in those subjects. It may also be possible for you to take some of these courses online or through a community college in your home state. Ultimately, the best course of action would be to contact the schools you are interested in and ask them about their specific prerequisites for admission.

First of all, congratulations on your BA in mathematics and your plans to pursue graduate studies in either applied math or engineering. Both fields offer exciting opportunities for problem-solving and innovation. I can assure you that your skills in optimization and modeling are highly valued in many industries, including engineering. While it is true that computers can be programmed to model and optimize, the ability to interpret and analyze the results is where a human with a strong mathematical background, like yourself, is invaluable.

In terms of your concerns about job opportunities, I would encourage you to do some research on the job market in your desired field. You may be surprised to find that there are many companies looking for individuals with your skill set. Additionally, networking and internships can also greatly increase your chances of landing a job in your desired field.

In regards to your dilemma about pursuing engineering and the additional prerequisites required, I would recommend weighing the pros and cons of each option. If you are passionate about engineering and believe it will lead you to your desired career path, then the extra time and effort may be worth it. However, if you are equally interested in applied math and do not want to delay your graduate studies, then pursuing that path may be the best decision for you.

Ultimately, the most important factor is to follow your passion and choose the path that aligns with your career goals. With your strong mathematical background and determination, I have no doubt that you will succeed in whichever path you choose. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

1. What is the difference between engineering and applied math?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and analyze practical solutions to real-world problems. Applied math, on the other hand, involves using mathematical concepts and techniques to solve problems in various fields, such as science, engineering, and finance.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in engineering or applied math?

Both engineering and applied math offer a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in research and development, consulting, data analysis, and teaching. Graduates with these degrees can work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, finance, technology, and more.

3. What skills are essential for success in engineering or applied math?

Strong problem-solving skills, analytical thinking, and a solid understanding of mathematical concepts are crucial for success in both engineering and applied math. Additionally, excellent communication, teamwork, and time-management skills are also essential for these fields.

4. Can someone with a background in engineering or applied math work in other industries?

Yes, the skills gained from studying engineering or applied math can be applied to various industries beyond their respective fields. These skills are highly transferable and valuable in fields such as business, healthcare, and government.

5. What are the current trends in engineering and applied math?

Some current trends in engineering include the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning, sustainable design and development, and advancements in renewable energy sources. In applied math, there is a growing focus on data analysis and visualization, as well as the use of mathematical models to solve complex problems in various industries.