Calculating Wind Speed for Toronto to Montreal Flight

• Thread starter chengbin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Wind
In summary, the plane flew from Toronto to Montreal in 2.5 hours, and the return trip took 3.0 hours. Assuming the plane flew under constant power, the speed of the plane in still air was 500/2.5=200 mph, and the wind speed was 100 mph minus the speed of the plane in still air.
chengbin

Homework Statement

A plane flies 500km from Toronto to Montreal in 2.5h. The return trip takes 3.0h. Assuming the plane flew under constant power, determine:

Homework Equations

a) The speed of the plane in still air

Well that's easy.

b) The speed of the wind. Express your answer rounded to the nearest km/h

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to do. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it was easy to get the speed of the plane in still air, its easy to then get the air speed. Since it flew from 500 mi from Toronto to Montreal in 2.5 hours, a "ground" speed of 500/2.5= 200 mph, with the wind assisting, the wind speed is 100 mph minus the speed of the plane in still air. What exactly did you get as the speed of the plane in still air?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF!

chengbin said:
A plane flies 500km from Toronto to Montreal in 2.5h. The return trip takes 3.0h. Assuming the plane flew under constant power …

Hi chengbin! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: Call the velocity of the Plane relative to the Air VPA

the velocity of the Plane relative to the Ground VPG

the velocity of the Air relative to the Ground VAG

and then draw a vector triangle PAG :wink:

HallsofIvy said:
If it was easy to get the speed of the plane in still air, its easy to then get the air speed. Since it flew from 500 mi from Toronto to Montreal in 2.5 hours, a "ground" speed of 500/2.5= 100 mph, with the wind assisting, the wind speed is 100 mph minus the speed of the plane in still air. What exactly did you get as the speed of the plane in still air?

I was thinking about the same thing. Since 500km/2.5=200km/h, 500/3=166.67km/h, 200-166.67=33.33km/h.

But that doesn't seem to make sense.

Humans can run at around 25-30km/h, so if I'm running at 30km/h and there is a 30km/h coming at me, I won't move at all?

tiny tim, aren't you assuming that the angle the wind makes with the line of flight is known? And that is not given. I think the best you can do is assume the wind direction is along the line from Toronto to Montreal. Strictly speaking what you can find that way is the component of wind speed in that direction. More you cannot find without knowing the wind direction.

Frankly, I have an uncomfortable feeling that when chengbin said it was easy to find the speed of the plane in still air he was only calculating 500/2.5= 200 mph and 500/3= 166 2/3 mph.

chengbin, letting v be the speed of the airplane in still air and letting w be the wind speed (assuming the wind is along the line from Toronto to Montreal, otherwise w is the component of the wind speed in that direction) then the ground speed from Toronto to Montreal is v+ w= 200 and from Montreal to Toronto is v- w= 166 2/3. I don't see how you can calculate one without the other!

HallsofIvy said:
tiny tim, aren't you assuming that the angle the wind makes with the line of flight is known? And that is not given. I think the best you can do is assume the wind direction is along the line from Toronto to Montreal. Strictly speaking what you can find that way is the component of wind speed in that direction. More you cannot find without knowing the wind direction.

ooh, you're right …

i'm getting an isoceles triangle with a line representing the wind velocity going from the apex to the bae, and dividing the base 6:5 …

but that gives a different answer for each wind direction! :redface:

What is wind speed and why is it important?

Wind speed is the measurement of how fast air is moving in a particular direction. It is important because it can affect various aspects of our daily lives, such as transportation, agriculture, and weather patterns.

How is wind speed calculated?

Wind speed is typically calculated using an anemometer, which is a device that measures the speed of the wind. The anemometer records the number of rotations per unit of time and converts it to a measurement in miles per hour or kilometers per hour.

What factors can affect wind speed?

There are several factors that can affect wind speed, including air pressure, temperature, topography, and the Earth's rotation. These factors can cause variations in wind speed from one location to another.

What units are used to measure wind speed?

The most common units used to measure wind speed are miles per hour (mph) and kilometers per hour (km/h). In some cases, wind speed may also be measured in knots (nautical miles per hour) or meters per second (m/s).

How does wind speed impact weather patterns?

Wind speed plays a crucial role in shaping weather patterns. High wind speeds can cause storms, while low wind speeds can result in calm weather. Wind can also affect the movement of air masses, which can impact temperature and precipitation patterns.