Can you solve this function problem with a hint and the given condition?

• Thread starter barathiviji
  • Start date
Of course, f(0) = 0, so that won't work. We can show f(0) = 0 as follows.f(0) = f(0 + 0) = f(0) + f(0)subtract f(0) from both sides0 = f(0).In summary, we are trying to find a solution for the function f(x) from the set of real numbers R to R, where f(1) is not equal to 0, and f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) and f(xy) = f(x)y for all x, y in R. Although the conversation does not provide a solution, it suggests using the fact that
barathiviji
give me solution to this problem...

Let f be a function from the set of real numbers R to R such that f(1) is not equal to 0 , and f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y), f(xy)=f(x)(y) for all x,y belongs to R. Then show that f(x)=x for all x in R

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a solution, but I'm pretty certain you need to use the information that f(1) is not zero. This suggests to me that you would be able to divide both sides of an equation by f(1).

Some things to start with are
f(1 + 0) = f(1) + f(0) <I don't know what to do with this.>
Now f(0) = f(1*0), so f(0) = f(1)*f(0) so f(0)/f(0) = f(1).
That might be a start for you.

Mark44 said:
I don't have a solution, but I'm pretty certain you need to use the information that f(1) is not zero. This suggests to me that you would be able to divide both sides of an equation by f(1).

Well the first equation in fact tells you f(0) = 0, so it probably wasn't a good idea to divide by that in the second line =].

It should be fairly straight forward to show by induction that f(n) = n f(1), integral n. Now if we use that fact in f(xy) = f(x)f(y), we can see that f(1) = 1, so now we can conclude f(n) = n for integer n. EDIT: Throughout this thread we have assumed the OP made a typo meaning f(xy) = f(x) f(y), though he wrote f(xy) = yf(x). If that is the actual question, then this is quite trivial.
The problem we have left is to show it for all real numbers other than just the integers.

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
The problem we have left is to show it for all real numbers other than just the integers.
Next on to the rationals! Alas, we should wait for Barathiviji to provide some work in this endeavor.

Mark44 said:

Sorry, I must have gotten in a hurry. I first said to divide by f(1), but later divided by f(0).

1. What does "give hint to this problem" mean?

"Give hint to this problem" means to provide a clue or suggestion that can help solve a problem or find a solution.

2. How can I give a hint to a problem?

There are many ways to give a hint to a problem, such as providing a small piece of information, suggesting a different approach, or breaking down the problem into smaller parts.

3. Why is giving a hint important in problem-solving?

Giving a hint can provide a new perspective and help individuals think outside the box. It can also guide them towards finding the solution on their own.

4. Is it better to give a direct hint or a subtle one?

It depends on the situation and the individual you are giving the hint to. Some people may benefit from a direct hint, while others may prefer a more subtle one to challenge their problem-solving skills.

5. Can giving a hint be considered cheating?

No, giving a hint is not considered cheating. It is a helpful tool to assist in problem-solving and can lead to a deeper understanding of the problem.