Peace Week Plans Canceled: Dispute Over Sculpture Unveiling

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the unveiling of a peace pigeon sculpture during the start of peace week was canceled due to a dispute between the artist and the organizers. The artist was promised a 10 feet pole for the sculpture, but later a much lower pedestal was constructed without his knowledge. This resulted in a legal battle, with the judge ruling in favor of the artist. The sculpture will not be unveiled and has been removed. The conversation also touched upon the distinction between pigeons and doves, as well as the appearance of the sculpture itself.
Andre
http://www.bndestem.nl/regio/breda/5534280/Streep-door-onthulling-vredesduif.ece

The start of the peace week would have been added lustre to with the unveiling of a artistic sculpture of a *peace* pigeon. A high level event to attract attention to all aggression in the world and what to do against it. Unfortunately, it was canceled due to a dispute.

It was agreed with the artist that the sculpture would have been placed on a 10 feet pole. However there were unmentioned second considerations later, which resulted in the construction of a much lower pedestal. The scuptor considered this an insult of his work and a breach of the agreement. The dispute was hot and accumulated in legal action and the judge ruled in favor of the artist. The sculpture will not be unveiled and the peace pigeon has been removed

What an exemplary lesson about peace at the start of the peace week. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, When did pigeons become a symbol of peace? I thought that honor went to doves. I guess peace isn't cheap. A substitute that will return to its cage is preferrable.

Huckleberry said:
Yeah, When did pigeons become a symbol of peace? I thought that honor went to doves.

There is no disctinction between pigeons and doves in many languages. For example in Polish they both translate to "gołąb".

Edit: to quote wikipedia:

Pigeons and doves constitute the family Columbidae within the order Columbiformes, which include some 300 species of near passerine birds. In general parlance the terms "dove" and "pigeon" are used somewhat interchangeably. In ornithological practice, there is a tendency for "dove" to be used for smaller species and "pigeon" for larger ones, but this is in no way consistently applied, and historically the common names for these birds involve a great deal of variation between the terms "dove" and "pigeon."

Yes let's make more unpeace about doves and pigeons. I think it should be pigeon, because of the alliteration: Peace Pigeon.

LOL! The artist was embarrassed about his pole being too short. :biggrin:

Good thing they didn't unveil the sculpture...can you imagine his reaction had any of the park pigeons found his peace pigeon? :rofl: (I'd have been encouraging the pigeons to the sculpture by feeding them all week in that spot...:devil:).

It's a pretty ugly looking pigeon anyway.

Well it should have been looking like this

http://www.bndestem.nl/multimedia/archive/01175/BS_8436743_8436743_1175951h.jpg

http://www.bndestem.nl/regio/breda/5233969/Oorlogje-rond-Bredase-vredesduif.ece , of last month, it's all about the peace pigeon war, being in full progress then.

Well, peace is the sort of thing you want to get into a heated debate about. And, especially, to get upset enough about to pick up your pigeon and go home.

Andre said:
Well it should have been looking like this

http://www.bndestem.nl/multimedia/archive/01175/BS_8436743_8436743_1175951h.jpg

http://www.bndestem.nl/regio/breda/5233969/Oorlogje-rond-Bredase-vredesduif.ece , of last month, it's all about the peace pigeon war, being in full progress then.
I've got to say that's one ugly whirligig, and it bears no resemblance to a dove pigeon, etc. If someone wanted to install that "art" in my town, I would suggest a location below ground, not 10' above.

It looks more like a penguin mated with a butterfly than a pigeon. Maybe it's for the best that the artist went home and took his pigeon with him. Spares the town another public eyesore. Who knows, maybe that WAS the point of putting it on a lower pole, when the people in charge realized the sculpture was really ugly.

Moonbear said:
It looks more like a penguin mated with a butterfly than a pigeon.
:rofl: It really does!

1. Why were the peace week plans canceled?

The peace week plans were canceled due to a dispute over the unveiling of a sculpture. The organizers and sponsors of the peace week were unable to come to an agreement on the design and placement of the sculpture, leading to the cancellation of the event.

2. What was the sculpture supposed to represent?

The sculpture was meant to represent the theme of peace and unity for the peace week celebration. However, there were differing opinions on the interpretation and symbolism of the sculpture, which led to the dispute.

3. Who was involved in the dispute?

The dispute involved the organizers and sponsors of the peace week, as well as the artist who created the sculpture. There were also members of the community who had varying opinions on the sculpture and its placement.

4. Was there any attempt to reach a compromise?

Yes, there were multiple attempts to reach a compromise between the parties involved. However, they were unable to find a solution that satisfied everyone and ultimately led to the cancellation of the peace week plans.

5. Will the peace week plans be rescheduled?

At this time, there are no plans to reschedule the peace week event. The dispute over the sculpture has caused tension and division within the community, and it may take some time to resolve before the event can be rescheduled.

Back