Degenerate perturbation theory - PLEASE HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses an online test on degenerate perturbation theory (DPT) and its applications in matrix construction and eigenvalue calculations. The questions involve determining the units, effects of adding constants to matrices, and perturbation expansions in DPT. The conversation also touches on the validity of certain assumptions and the effects of parity on matrix elements.
Alice48

Homework Statement

Ok, so i have this online test to be completed by tomorrow and i have NO IDEA how to go about it, my notes are useless, they don't explain anything. On the up side all the questions seem to be on a very similar topic so if i could understand some key ideas then i should be able to have a go at most of them. Does anyone have any pointers? Where can i find information on the net to understand and digest so i can answer these? I have tried reading about DPT but had no luck there.The main aim of this test is to develop and test your understanding of the matrices arising in degenerate perturbation theory (DPT). In degenerate pertrubation theory (DPT) one constructs a matrix with elements < i | H' | j >, where i and j represent unperturbed orthonormal (i.e. < i | j > = 0 for i not equal to j, or 1 for i = j) eigenstates and H' is the perturbation. For simplicity, we will assume that the eigenstates are real.

TRUE OR FALSE

Question 1

The units of < i | H' | j > are energy.

Question 2

The eigenvalues of a matrix are unchanged if a constant is added to each diagonal element.

Question 3

If | i > and | j > are eigenstates of H', then all the off-diagonal elements of the matrix are zero.

Question 4

One can add a constant times the identity matrix to the DPT matrix without changing the physics, because the zero of the energy scale is arbitrary.

Question 5

One can add a constant to each element of the DPT matrix because the zero of the energy scale is arbitrary.

Question 6

For a 2 - state system, the eigenenergies are proportional to < 0 | H' | 1> squared if the diagonal elements of the DPT matrix are zero.

Question 7

If | 0 > and | 1 > have opposite parity and H' is an odd function then < 0 | H' | 1 > is zero.

Question 8

For a 2 - state system, the eigenvalues are propotional to < 0 | H' | 1 > if the off-diagonal terms are much smaller than the difference between the diagonal terms.

Question 9

For a 2 - state system, if the diagonal terms are zero then the eigenvalues are plus and minus < 0 | H' | 0 >.

Question 10

For a 2 - state system with real unperturbed states, < 0 | H' | 1 > = < 1 | H' | 0 >.

Question 11

For a 2 - state system with degenerate unperturbed states | 0 > and | 1 >,

< 0 | H' | 0 > = < 1 | H' | 1>

Question 12
For a 2 - state system, a perturbation expansion of the eigenvalues is valid when the off-diagonal terms are large compared to the difference between the diagonal terms.

Question 13

The 'first order' shift in the energy of state i due to the perturbation H' is given by < i | H' | i >.

Question 14

For a 2 - state system, the 'second order' shift in the energy of state | 0 > is inversely proportional to < 1 | H' | 1 > - < 0 | H' | 0 >.

Question 15

One can add a constant to each element on the diagonal of the matrix without changing the physics because the zero of the energy scale is arbitrary.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer:Question 1: FalseQuestion 2: TrueQuestion 3: FalseQuestion 4: TrueQuestion 5: FalseQuestion 6: FalseQuestion 7: TrueQuestion 8: TrueQuestion 9: FalseQuestion 10: TrueQuestion 11: TrueQuestion 12: FalseQuestion 13: TrueQuestion 14: TrueQuestion 15: False

1. What is degenerate perturbation theory?

Degenerate perturbation theory is a method used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels of a system that has multiple, closely spaced energy levels. It takes into account the effects of a small perturbation on the system, such as an external field or interaction with other particles.

2. How does degenerate perturbation theory differ from regular perturbation theory?

In regular perturbation theory, the energy levels of the system are not degenerate, meaning they are well separated and can be treated individually. In degenerate perturbation theory, the energy levels are degenerate and cannot be treated separately, requiring a different approach to calculate their effects.

3. What is the perturbation parameter in degenerate perturbation theory?

The perturbation parameter in degenerate perturbation theory is the strength of the perturbation being applied to the system. It is typically denoted by the symbol λ and is used to determine how much the energy levels of the system will be affected.

4. How is degenerate perturbation theory used in real-world applications?

Degenerate perturbation theory is used in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and solid-state physics. It is used to calculate the energy levels and properties of systems with multiple closely spaced energy levels, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and materials.

5. What are the limitations of degenerate perturbation theory?

Degenerate perturbation theory assumes that the perturbation is small enough to be treated as a first-order correction to the original system. If the perturbation is too strong, the theory may not accurately predict the energy levels and properties of the system. Additionally, it is only applicable to systems with a finite number of energy levels, and cannot be used for systems with a continuous spectrum of energy levels.