Calculate the abeliazation of the group G=<a,b>

• Thread starter ibc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, to calculate the abeliazation of a group G, which is generated by elements a and b that are totally free and independent, we can first calculate the commutator group [G,G] and then find the quotient group G/[G,G]. Alternatively, we can count the number of generators in the abelianization and use the fact that it has no elements of finite order and is a sum of copies of the integers. We can also directly show that a and b commute in the quotient group and that there are no other relations.
ibc
Does anyone know how can I calculate the abeliazation of the group G=<a,b>
(when a and b are totally free and independent)
i.e. first of all, how do I calculate the commutator group [G,G]?
and then how do I find the quotient group: G/[G,G]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

ibc said:
Does anyone know how can I calculate the abeliazation of the group G=<a,b>
(when a and b are totally free and independent)
i.e. first of all, how do I calculate the commutator group [G,G]?
and then how do I find the quotient group: G/[G,G]

Thanks

I would just count the number of generators in the abelianization then appeal to two facts: the abelianization has no elements of finite order and a free abelian group is a sum of copies of the integers.

Or you could directly show that a and b commute in the quotient group and that there are no other relations - e.g. each generate a free abelian group on one generator. For instance the powers of a and the powers of b are not commutators.

1. What is the abelianization of a group?

The abelianization of a group is the process of transforming a non-abelian group into an abelian group by adding additional relations to the group's presentation.

2. How is the abelianization of a group calculated?

The abelianization of a group G is calculated by taking the quotient of G by its commutator subgroup [G,G]. This results in a new group with the same elements as G, but with all commutators equal to the identity element.

3. What is the significance of calculating the abelianization of a group?

Calculating the abelianization of a group can reveal important information about the structure and properties of the original group. For example, an abelian group is always solvable, so determining if a group is abelian can help in solving certain problems related to the group.

4. Can any group be abelianized?

Not all groups can be abelianized, as some groups are inherently non-abelian and cannot be transformed into an abelian group by adding relations. However, many groups can be abelianized and it is a useful tool in group theory.

5. How is the abelianization of a group related to its center?

The abelianization of a group is closely related to its center, which is the set of elements that commute with all other elements in the group. The abelianization of a group is isomorphic to the quotient of the group by its center, meaning they have the same structure and properties.