Neutron-Neutrino collisions and the W bosons

In summary, The exchange particle in the reaction between a neutron and a neutrino can either be a W+ or W- boson, depending on the direction it is drawn on the Feynman diagram. The same applies to the reaction between an antineutrino and a proton. This is only a graphical choice and does not affect the physics of the reaction.
RK1992
Hi, I have my AS physics exam tomorrow and the only thing on the syllabus I'm unsure of is the reaction between a neutron and a neutrino and also the reaction between an antineutrino and a proton.

A Ve is an antineutrino, I can't work the overline codes :/

I've seen various feynman diagrams showing different exchange particles for the reaction below:
Ve + n > e- + p

In my notes, the feynman diagram shows a W+ boson being given off by the Ve, but I've also seen diagrams with a W- being given off by the neutron. What does this mean? Can either happen? If I were asked what exchanged particle mediated this collision and answered W+ or W-, would I be right?

The same problem with an anti-neutrino proton collision:

Ve + p > e+ + n

Again, I've seen a W- going from the Ve and I've seen a W+ going from the proton...

Why is this? Which is right? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a virtual W boson. It doesn't have a proper "time direction" or well-defined charge type. If you draw it from the neutron/proton to the electron/neutrino side it is a W-, if you draw it in the other direction it is a W+, in both cases from charge conservation. This is purely a graphical choice, it has no impact on the physics.

1. What is a neutron-neutrino collision?

A neutron-neutrino collision is a type of interaction between a neutron and a neutrino particle. Neutrons are subatomic particles with no electric charge, while neutrinos are also neutral particles but have very little mass. When a neutron and neutrino collide, they can exchange energy and momentum, resulting in a variety of outcomes depending on the specific properties of the particles involved.

2. What is the role of W bosons in neutron-neutrino collisions?

W bosons are particles that mediate the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature. In neutron-neutrino collisions, W bosons can be exchanged between the two particles, allowing them to interact and potentially change into different types of particles. This process is known as a weak interaction and is responsible for many phenomena in particle physics, such as radioactive decay.

3. How do scientists study neutron-neutrino collisions?

Scientists study neutron-neutrino collisions by using powerful particle accelerators to create high-energy beams of neutrons and neutrinos. These beams are then directed at a target, and the resulting collisions are observed and measured using particle detectors. By analyzing the data from these collisions, scientists can learn more about the fundamental properties of neutrons and neutrinos and the role of W bosons in their interactions.

4. What can we learn from studying neutron-neutrino collisions?

Studying neutron-neutrino collisions can provide valuable insights into the fundamental nature of matter and the universe. By observing and analyzing these collisions, scientists can test and refine theories about the structure of atoms, the behavior of subatomic particles, and the fundamental forces that govern the universe. Neutron-neutrino collisions also play a crucial role in understanding phenomena such as nuclear fusion, which powers the sun and other stars.

5. Are neutron-neutrino collisions dangerous?

No, neutron-neutrino collisions are not dangerous. These collisions occur naturally in the universe and are also produced in controlled environments by scientists. While high-energy particles can be harmful to living organisms, the beams used in studying neutron-neutrino collisions are carefully controlled and pose no significant danger to human health. In fact, the knowledge gained from studying these collisions can help us better understand and mitigate potential risks from high-energy particles in the universe.